Matt 28:16-17

blackheart

Matt 28:16-17

Post by blackheart » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:20 am

16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them. 17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted. (KJV)

Doing some reading recently and noticed a mountain that Jesus had "appointed them" What is going on there? And why do you think some doubted?
Blackheart Magillicutty

The LORD is slow to anger, and great in power, and will not at all acquit the wicked: the LORD hath his way in the whirlwind and in the storm, and the clouds are the dust of his feet.

Suzana

Re: Matt 28:16-17

Post by Suzana » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:14 am

I think it just means a particular place where Jesus had said to meet him, after his resurrection.

8And they left the tomb quickly with fear and great joy and ran to report it to His disciples. 9And behold, Jesus met them and greeted them. And they came up and took hold of His feet and worshiped Him. 10Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid; go and take word to My brethren to leave for Galilee, and there they will see Me." ....

....16But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated. (NASB)

As to why some doubted – it was after all a fairly spectacular claim they heard from the women, that Jesus had risen from the dead :!: – I imagine there would be some who wouldn’t know what to think at first.
My impression is that v. 17 describes the reactions when Jesus was first seen, but still some distance away, since the next verse says “And Jesus came up and spoke to them,...”.
Suzana

Return to “The Gospels”