Matthew 20:1-16

RICHinCHRIST

Matthew 20:1-16

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:50 pm

This portion of Scripture is the parable of the vineyard workers...

1 “For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire laborers for his vineyard. 2 Now when he had agreed with the laborers for a denarius a day, he sent them into his vineyard. 3 And he went out about the third hour and saw others standing idle in the marketplace, 4 and said to them, ‘You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right I will give you.’ So they went. 5 Again he went out about the sixth and the ninth hour, and did likewise. 6 And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing idle, and said to them, ‘Why have you been standing here idle all day?’ 7 They said to him, ‘Because no one hired us.’ He said to them, ‘You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right you will receive.'
8 “So when evening had come, the owner of the vineyard said to his steward, ‘Call the laborers and give them their wages, beginning with the last to the first.’ 9 And when those came who were hired about the eleventh hour, they each received a denarius. 10 But when the first came, they supposed that they would receive more; and they likewise received each a denarius. 11 And when they had received it, they complained against the landowner, 12 saying, ‘These last men have worked only one hour, and you made them equal to us who have borne the burden and the heat of the day.’ 13 But he answered one of them and said, ‘Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius? 14 Take what is yours and go your way. I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. 15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with my own things? Or is your eye evil because I am good?’ 16 So the last will be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few chosen.

I've always heard this Scripture taught in reference to eternal rewards. This parable teaches that each worker received the same reward. However, it seems as though eternal rewards for Christians will be dependent upon one's faithfulness to Christ in this life and that there will be more rewards for some than others (see 1 Cor. 3:8, 3:14).

With this in mind, could this parable be referring to something else?

steve7150

Re: Matthew 20:1-16

Post by steve7150 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:50 pm

I thought it was about the fact that jewish religious leaders thought they were special because they had worked with God through the Old Covenant longer and s/b favored similar to the Parable of the Prodical Son verses the older son which highlights it's not by works but by God's grace that we are saved and he owes no explanations for what he does.
'

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:23 pm

I think the answer to your question is that different parables make different points and that every aspect of a given parable should not be over-interpreted. Here are some notes I typed up about this parable. I may be wrong, but these thoughts resolved the issue for me.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
At first glance, this parable may appear to contradict the parable of the talents (and the parable of the minas/pounds), but we must determine what aspect of the kingdom each parable is talking about. To accomplish this, let us first look at what God's Word says about Judgment Day.

We will all be judged by our works
1. Matthew 16:27, 25:31-43
2. Romans 2:5-8
3. 1 Peter 1:17
4. Revelation 20:12-13

We are saved...

BY GRACE
Acts 15:11
Ephesians 2:5
2 Timothy 1:9

THROUGH FAITH
Luke 7:50
1 Timothy 2:15
Ephesians 2:8

THAT WORKS
James 2:14-19
James 2:20-24
Galatians 5:6

If we are saved by GRACE through FAITH that WORKS then why are we only judged by works?
1. We aren't judged by grace, for that wouldn't involve us at all
2. We aren't judged by a faith, b/c faith by itself is invisible. A statement of faith can be faked.
3. We are judged by works, b/c they are the evidence of genuine faith

In interpreting this parable, we must determine whether it is focused on the GRACE, FAITH or WORKS component of our Christian lives. I believe the parable's of the talents/minas/pounds are focused on our works. Their theme is the activity (or inactivity) of the workers. This parable, in contrast, is focused on the generosity of the landowner. Therefore, I believe this parable is about grace. This theory accounts for why the workers in the former parables are given different rewards (since their levels of work were different) whereas the workers in the latter parable were all given the same pay (since they were all equally dependant on the giver's generosity).

The point of the parable, to me, proves that there is ZERO amount of 'deservedness' when it comes to obtaining what is necessary to make it beyond Judgment Day. We all are bankrupt. We all need a generous master. We all need Him equally. What happens after judgment day in regard to reward is a different issue that this parable doesn't address.

RICHinCHRIST

Post by RICHinCHRIST » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:52 pm

Thanks for the posts folks!

Return to “The Gospels”