The meaning of Jesus' name. Submitting a post for feedback

morbo3000

The meaning of Jesus' name. Submitting a post for feedback

Post by morbo3000 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:14 pm

While a pastor in Twin Falls, ID, I preached a sermon on Jesus' name. I published it to my blog, as I had all my others. Years later, I was looking at my stats, and discovered I was getting a lot of hits on it. I've meant to put that topic into a book, so I have been working on it. V e r y slowly.

Here is the chapter on the meaning of Jesus' name. I welcome feedback. Especially anything factual like history. I had to bone up on the prophets, and 1st century Judaism to get at the heart of this, and I may have some of the details wrong.

TIA

http://www.jesusna.me/meaning-jesus-name/
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

Paidion

Re: The meaning of Jesus' name. Submitting a post for feedba

Post by Paidion » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:49 pm

The bottom line is that "Jesus", "ἰησους" (yāzous) in Greek, or Yeshua in transliteration of the Hebrew means "saviour" regardless of that from which people have been or are being saved.

Joshua (Yeshua), together with Moses, saved the Hebrews from the Egyptians, and after the death of Moses, led the Hebrews in the conquest of Canaan.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “The Gospels”