Added or Deleted

Paidion

Added or Deleted

Post by Paidion » Mon May 09, 2016 11:39 am

Some good Christian people are concerned that the “liberal, modernistic, translations” of the Bible “omit” part of Luke 9:56 and all of Matthew 18:11. They think these passages are omitted because these "modernistic" translators want to deny the Saviour. However, this is not the case.

With regards to Luke 9:56, the NKJV has:

“For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them." And they went on to another village.

And similarly with related translations such as the AV and RWebster.

I'm sure every true Christian fully agrees that the first sentence is true. However, there is evidence that Luke did not write those words in his gospel. Unfortunately none of the original manuscripts of any part of the New Testament have survived.

I am blessed to possess a book that contains all the transcripts of all extant New Testament manuscripts that were copied prior to the year 300 A.D. Only two of these contain Luke 9:56, namely papyrus 45, which was copied in the early 200s, and papyrus 75, which was copied in the late 100s. Those manuscripts have only, “And they went to another village,” and do not contain the quote ascribed to our Lord, “For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them.”

In 1844, Constantin von Tischendorf discovered the world's oldest and most complete Bible dating from 325, with the complete New Testament not discovered before. This Bible is called Codex Sinaiticus, after the St. Catherine's Monastery at Mt. Sinai, where Tischendorf discovered it. It also lacks the questionable sentence from Luke 9:56. This sentence is also lacking in the two other major codices, Codex Vaticinus, also from the 4th century, and Codex Alexandrinus from the 5th century.

The fact that Matt 18:11 is not present in some translations has been questioned also.

For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost (NKJV).

Unfortunately, no extant manuscript prior to 300 A.D. Contains the 18th chapter of Matthew.

And again, it is absent in both Codex Sinaiticus and Codex Vaticanus. I am not sure about Codex Alexandrinus.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dizerner

Re: Added or Deleted

Post by dizerner » Mon May 09, 2016 3:18 pm

My theory is the many teachings and stories of Christ were on separate individual short manuscripts that were then compiled. I would point to the Adulteress Pericope for evidence of this, since in many manuscripts it simply moves around to different places. Thus when some things are added later to the Gospels, it could be that they are being harmonized or compiled with a separate witness that had this detail of the story, that some originally left it out.

Paidion

Re: Added or Deleted

Post by Paidion » Mon May 09, 2016 6:00 pm

Your theory seems plausible, Dizerner.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “The Gospels”