The Zealots

DeGraff

The Zealots

Post by DeGraff » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:52 pm

Jesus was explicit about His kingdom being not of this world. When they tried to entangle him in politics by speaking against the Romans, he wouldn't take the bait.

First Century Palestine was comprised of these religious sects:
Sadducees - Comparable to liberals who don't believe in the supernatural
Pharisees - Comparable to conservatives who believe in supernatural, but are bound in legalism
Zealots - Comparable to anyone who wants government to serve their ideology
Essenes - Comparable to monks who have turned their backs on society, and are off the grid

I believe the current political culture is becoming a snare for believers. We are being forced to choose a kingdom other than The Christ's. I am almost convinced that this current election is a test of some kind, and I'm not sure I have the right answer yet.

All I know is this: If you hate the other party, you fail. If you regard those who disagree with your view as the enemy, the love of Christ is not in you.

This does not mean you aren't entitled to your view, or allowed to feel strongly about. Just don't place America above The Kingdom. The next phase of the culture wars is about to get very ugly.

DeGraff

Re: The Zealots

Post by DeGraff » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:03 pm

To moderate my own post:

Zealot - Comparable to anyone willing to use violence to overthrow current system

My point could have been clearer. What I am considering is how Jesus related to the Zealots. He doesn't come right out and condemn them as he does the Pharisees. But I have to think the Beatitudes would have been a shot across their bow.

One faction of zealots operated like modern day cop snipers:
The Sicarii (Modern Hebrew: סיקריים siqari'im) were a splinter group of the Hebrew Zealots (Tribe of Judah) in the decades preceding the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE who heavily opposed the Roman occupation of Judea and attempted to expel the Romans and any co-participant groups of Roman rule from the area. The Sicarii carried sicae, or small daggers, concealed in their cloaks.At public gatherings, they pulled out these daggers to attack Romans and Hebrew Roman sympathizers alike, blending into the crowd after the deed to escape detection.
It also reminds of current patriotic types who believe we need to take the country back by force.

Return to “The Gospels”