The Messianic Secret

mattrose

The Messianic Secret

Post by mattrose » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:03 pm

In the gospel according to Mark, especially, Jesus seems to tell people (and demons) to keep His true identity a secret.

A common conservative explanation for this motif is that Jesus wanted to keep Himself from becoming a celebrity so that He could travel freely and/or Jesus wanted to delay His coming arrest and crucifixion. I agree that Jesus wanted to delay His crucifixion, but I feel like commentators rarely touch on WHY He felt a delay was necessary.

Many Christians think the only REALLY important thing Jesus did on earth was die for our sins (in some theologies, the resurrection isn't even that important). The LIFE & MINISTRY of Jesus isn't very important to such Christians. They just need Jesus' blood.

I think the Messianic Secret is an important motif because it shows how seriously Jesus felt about delaying the crucifixion. Apparently, Jesus felt that His teachings, miracles, parables, relationships, and actions were important for people to see. This reinforces, to my mind, the importance of living a Christlike life.

I realize I am probably preaching to the choir here. Just a thought I wanted to share. Too many American Christians are only interested in Jesus' death so they can go to heaven when they die. We need to be passionate about Jesus' life and ministry so that we can be the kind of people for whom the New Earth makes a fitting home.

Paidion

Re: The Messianic Secret

Post by Paidion » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:33 pm

And the choir said:
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

jasonmodar

Post by jasonmodar » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:29 pm

You are preaching to the choir but I sure do appreciate the reminder. I imagine others do as well.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:32 pm

Worked on a quick list of the most relevant texts

1:25 “Be Quiet”
1:43 “Don’t tell this to anyone”
3:12 “Strict orders not to tell”
4:11 “Everything is said in parables”
4:34 “He did not say anything to them”
5:43 “Strict orders not to let anyone know”
7:24 “Did not want anyone to know it”
7:36 “Commanded… not to tell anyone”
8:30 “Warned them not to tell anyone”
9:9 “Gave them orders not to tell anyone”
9:30 “Did not want anyone to know”

10:48* “Told him to be quiet” (not Jesus)

14:62 “I am”
15:2 “Yes, it is as you say”
15:39 “Surely this man was the Son of God”

Again, it seems very clear to me that Jesus was highly invested in delaying the crucifixion. What He did prior to the crucifixion must have been very important :)

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:41 pm

Love!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:44 pm

Can I post on Facebook? Maybe you should and I can share it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:24 am

Feel free to post it if you like.... as for me, I'm keeping it a secret :)

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:24 am

Again, it seems very clear to me that Jesus was highly invested in delaying the crucifixion. What He did prior to the crucifixion must have been very important :)
http://www.matthew94.blogspot.com[/verseblock]

Yes and very good post! Also perhaps Jesus had in mind to fulfill an apparent 3 1/2 year prophecy in Dan 9.26-27 so he tried to insure he wouldn't be interrupted earlier.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:53 pm

steve7150 wrote:Yes and very good post! Also perhaps Jesus had in mind to fulfill an apparent 3 1/2 year prophecy in Dan 9.26-27 so he tried to insure he wouldn't be interrupted earlier.
Good thought. I had considered the role of prophetic fulfillment in the delay as well. I don't think it can/should be discounted. But ultimately, when I think about Jesus' thought-process during His ministry, I am more compelled to imagine Him thinking "I haven't shown them enough yet" than "I have to delay this a bit longer to get the math right"

Return to “The Gospels”