1 Corinthians 14:20-25 Question

_Sean

1 Corinthians 14:20-25 Question

Post by _Sean » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:04 am

1 Corinthians 14:
20 Brethren, do not be children in understanding; however, in malice be babes, but in understanding be mature.
21 In the law it is written:

"With men of other tongues and other lips
I will speak to this people;
And yet, for all that, they will not hear Me,"

says the Lord.
22 Therefore tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers; but prophesying is not for unbelievers but for those who believe. 23 Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind? 24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all. 25 And thus the secrets of his heart are revealed; and so, falling down on his face, he will worship God and report that God is truly among you.

Why does this passage say: "tongues are for a sign, not to those who believe but to unbelievers" and then go on to say: "Therefore if the whole church comes together in one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those who are uninformed or unbelievers, will they not say that you are out of your mind? But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or an uninformed person comes in, he is convinced by all, he is convicted by all."
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Les Wright

Post by _Les Wright » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:43 pm

Hi Sean,

I realize that this reply is more than a year late and I do hope you've been able to come to some type of understanding since then, but the way I see it either: (largely based on Steve Gregg's teaching I believe)

1) tongues are a sign of judgment on willful (i.e. in context probably Jewish) unbelievers, while prophecy makes believers out of unbelievers (i.e. in context probably Gentiles) - 1 Cor 14:21 is quoting Is 28:11 where in V9-10 the Jewish leaders of the day were saying Isaiah’s message is too simple/elementary (ie for school kids), but they’ll listen to invaders (those with foreign tongues) in v11
2) 1 Cor 14:22 could be a rhetorical question, like in Gal 4:16, where Paul is outlining the Corinthian's arguement, which he goes on to refute

Either way, its not a contradiction, and it does enable the passage to make logical sense.

Hope that helps.
Les
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

Return to “Acts & Epistles”