Jesus' words Only??

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
hiddenshapes

Jesus' words Only??

Post by hiddenshapes » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:16 pm

I saw this on another post..

http://www.jesuswordsonly.com/

I could see why, in our modern world, certain people would want to disregard Paul's instructions on the way we should live (sexuality, ect.)

What are your thoughts on this movement?

backwoodsman
Location: Not quite at the ends of the earth, but you can see it from here.

Re: Jesus' words Only??

Post by backwoodsman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:52 pm

In a few minutes on their website I found several points of factual error and fatally flawed logic. Obviously, that can only lead to conclusions that are unreliable at best, and most likely pretty far off the mark. Their use of the likes of Joel Osteen and the Interpreter's Bible Dictionary (a generally very liberal work) to make their points -- not to mention their heavy dependence on Calvin -- doesn't exactly help their credibility.

They have some interpretations of Scripture that are best described as bizarre. 2 Peter criticizes Paul? Paul dismisses the importance of baptism? Paul confesses to converting the Corinthians by lying to them? Seriously?

Personally, I follow the teachings of both Jesus and Paul, and have never found a conflict between them.

Singalphile

Re: Jesus' words Only??

Post by Singalphile » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:11 pm

I ran across a similar site a couple of weeks ago. (I can't find the site again. Was something about Paul vs. Jesus, I think.)

I didn't know it was a "movement". I remember wondering if it was a sort of mock site - like an atheist posing as a Christian or something - because he seemed more focused on trying to discredit the Bible than anything else. In any case, it was not convincing.

I can't really tell what their "Statement of Faith" would look like so... I don't know. There's some odd stuff out there.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”