Did Jesus Observe the Sabbath?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
dseusy

Re: Did Jesus Observe the Sabbath?

Post by dseusy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:48 am

Steve wrote:
I am confused about your position. On one hand, you say we are not to put ourselves under the Law; on the other, you say we should not dismiss the Law.
Isn't it possible for us to uphold the law as good and not dismiss it, and simultaneously claim the promise of our freedom from its jurisdiction over us for condemnation of our inability to perform it?

"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:17-19 (bold, mine)

"But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one stroke of a letter of the Law to fail." Luke 16:17

"Therefore let it be known to you, brethren, that through this Man is preached to you the forgiveness of sins; and by Him everyone who believes is justified from all things from which you could not be justified by the law of Moses." Acts 13:38-39

JohnDB70X7

Post by JohnDB70X7 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:09 pm

Howdy,

Sorry to come out of the starting gate (post #1) so strongly...

But Jesus (preincarnate) kept the sabbath in Genesis 2:2.

Isaiah 44:24 (KJV)
24 Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;

John 1:1-3 (KJV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Colossians 1:16 (KJV)
16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Genesis 2:2 (KJV)
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

FYI this is good old time Trinitarian theology... the Son (preincarnate) is the Creator of all things created in the beginning. Review the verses above. The Father is not the Creator of anything but the body of the Lord Jesus:

John 1:14 (KJV)
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. (See also Hebrews 1:5 and Hebrews 10:5).

I say all this background because you don't know me from Adam...

In his earthly ministry (incarnate) Jesus is the prophet, priest, and king. Priests normally work on sabbath so Jesus was never in violation of the law.

The Law of Moses still stands and will continue to function as that which convicts unbelievers of eternal damnation.

John 5:45 (NIV)
45 “But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set.

Believers in Jesus Christ are keepers of a higher law than the law of Moses...

1 Corinthians 9:19-21 (NIV)
19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.
20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.
21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.

So read more carefully when the scriptures refer to just "the law" or "my law" (God speaking) because there are two laws the law of Moses and the law of Christ (God).

When the New Covenant / New Testament took effect was when the Lord Jesus died on the cross.

Hebrews 9:16-17 (KJV)
16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.

The instillation of it was Acts 2, but it was in effect at the death of the Lord on the cross.

dseusy

Post by dseusy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:18 pm

John,

I agree with you.

When you stated...
Believers in Jesus Christ are keepers of a higher law than the law of Moses...
... are you saying we are not free from the old law (1 Cor. 9:21) but are now bound by a new set of regulations called, "The Law of Christ" or "Christ's Law"?

or are you saying we are not free from the old law but are under "Christ's Law" which is more like:

Romans 8:2 NKJV
“For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.”

and characterized by:

Romans 10:4 NKJV
“For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.”

Galatians 2:21 NKJV
“I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.”

Galatians 6:1-2
“Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. 2 Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.”

Romans 8:1-4
“There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.”

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:53 pm

I am not sure where everyone’s Soteriology is at here, but wanted to add; 'The Law of Christ is to Believe in Him'
(So it seems the law of sin and death is still in effect, and believing sets us free from that law)

Some laws have natural consequences, others enforced.
Unless you believe you will die. A law is not a law unless it has a penalty.
The penalty for not believing is already in force – death (like gravity, the penalty is you fall, you are not pushed).
“There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus” if you believe;
“I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins"
(So it seems the law of sin and death is still in effect – unless we believe. Romans 2:1-15, 8:1-16)

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”