Wounds in Christ's resurrected body?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
darinhouston

Re: Wounds in Christ's resurrected body?

Post by darinhouston » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:18 pm

Code: Select all

Why do we assume he had wounds on his hands and feet?  Unless I'm missing a parallel verse, isn't that something we have simply surmised of his purpose of showing them his hands and feet?  Could it be because they saw hands and feet something humans have that spirits don't?  We have feet to move around on and hands to accomplish things in this world.  Would an apparition or spirit have those things?  I don't know if this has any cultural/historic bearing, but the verse doesn't say they saw and touched his wounds.  He doesn't say "here are my hands and feet" as evidence that I am He who was nailed to the cross -- he says it as evidence that he is flesh and bones.
Never mind -- forgot about John 20:25 for a moment. My critical mind got ahead of me.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:03 pm

So Paidion, you would see His maintenance of wounds as a choice to fulfill a particular purpose, and not an indication in general for what others might expect when they receive resurrection bodies?
Correct. I don't expect to see people who have lost their right arm to have no right arm when they are resurrected. I don't expect my wife who has had a "hip replacement" to have a metal ball and a plastic socket within her hip when she is raised from the dead.

Paul said in I Cor 15, that our immortal bodies will differ from our present mortal bodies as a wheat plant differs from the grain that was planted from which it grew.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:32 pm

Paidion wrote: Paul said in I Cor 15, that our immortal bodies will differ from our present mortal bodies as a wheat plant differs from the grain that was planted from which it grew.
I just don't understand this in the context of the risen Christ. He made a big deal out of showing them that He was just as He was (other than being able to materialize). My suspicion is that we will be so metaphysically different from what we can gather that we can't fathom it, and that Jesus' appearance was a sui generis manifestation that was flesh to convince the apostles it was Himself, but that was bespoken for that purpose and temporarily so. Otherwise, where is He now, physically?

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”