Belief Without Regeneration and/or Indwelling

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
psimmond

Belief Without Regeneration and/or Indwelling

Post by psimmond » Mon May 12, 2014 8:08 pm

Is it possible for a person today to believe in God and even to believe the gospel of Jesus Christ without experiencing regeneration and/or the indwelling of the Holy Spirit?

It seems as though some may believe yet for various reasons not be marked by the indwelling Holy Spirit as the elect; Acts 19:2 suggests this possibility as well as Matthew 7:22-23.
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

Paidion

Re: Belief Without Regeneration and/or Indwelling

Post by Paidion » Mon May 12, 2014 10:38 pm

Acts 19:2 refers to person who had been baptized as John's disciples rather than as Jesus' disciples.

Perhaps a better example of what you are suggesting is Acts 8:9-24. Simon "believed and was baptized". But it seems he was not regenerated. He still wanted power, the power to impart the Holy Spirit, and he wanted to buy that power. Peter said he had neither part nor lot in the matter. Peter told him to repent, but instead he just wanted to evade any unpleasant consequences. History tells us that he went back again to his previous claim of deity, and that at his death, some Roman official erected a statue to his honour, with the insciption, "To the great God, Simon."
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

psimmond

Re: Belief Without Regeneration and/or Indwelling

Post by psimmond » Wed May 14, 2014 3:20 pm

Thanks Paidion!

It seems some believe the people Jesus was referring to in Matthew 7:22-23 were those on whom the Holy Spirit had empowered for a time (OT era) but these individuals didn't continue to live godly lives and therefore were never counted among the elect. I can see how this makes sense.

The Acts 8 passage you pointed out (and perhaps Acts 19) seem to reflect a time in history when God sometimes withheld the Spirit until the apostles laid hands on believers. (This seemed to happen with Gentiles, but not always: Acts 10:44.) I wonder if God gave the apostles the ability to heal most anybody and the ability to impart the Holy Spirit at times to establish their apostolic authority, like in Mark 16:20.

Acts 8 makes me wonder if this Philip is Philip the apostle from the gospels. Great miracles were performed through him, but he seemed to either lack knowledge or the ability to impart the Holy Spirit...

Edit: It seems he was one of the 7 chosen by the 12 (Acts 6:2-6).
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”