Opinions on a quote, please

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
nancyer

Opinions on a quote, please

Post by nancyer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:57 am

I know a lot of people here are not fans of Joel Osteen, I think. I'm not either. I listened to him for a while when I first came to Christ but got tired of hearing that everything would be great, my problems are over, just believe and all will be prosperous and wonderful. But I wondered what you thought of this quote he uses regularly. This I do like. I like what it says.

This is my Bible. I am what it says I am, I have what it says I have, I can do what it says I can do. Today I will be taught the Word of God. I boldly confess, my mind is alert, my heart is receptive and I will never be the same again.

dizerner

Re: Opinions on a quote, please

Post by dizerner » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:53 am

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Homer

Post by Homer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:01 am

Good post, dizerner!

jaydam

Post by jaydam » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:25 pm

A local radio host plays a part of that clip at the start of her show. Dizerner hit the nail on the head.

Having recently left a church that moved the direction of "Best Life Now" theology. My thought has been it is interesting that I watched many of "those" type of Christians work really hard to claim the "I can" benefits of following God, but not as many commit to the "I will" disciplines and standards of conduct

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:36 pm

Thank you dizerner;

You nailed it!!!! I like your version much better. Most of your comments are exactly the problem I have with Joel Osteen, though he does seem like a straight forward guy and I don't think he's out to scam anyone. He's more of a positive thinking motivator. That's ok, if that's what one wants.

Again, thank you for your insight and words of wisdom. I will take them to heart.

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:19 pm

Dizerner - I put both quotes on my FB page - I appreciate it.
And thank you for bringing it up, Nancyer.
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

Homer

Post by Homer » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:16 pm

He's more of a positive thinking motivator. That's ok, if that's what one wants.
But is it ok if people are lead to believe that's what Christianity is about?

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:31 pm

Dizerner, I like your post generally; I like ''rejoicing around the Cross but not getting on it'', but this struck me tonight:

"... he admits he doesn't preach the full counsel of God, but feels only called to be an encourager. At least I can respect that honesty."

Would you respect my 'honesty' if I said, "I'm giving my heart, my life, my all, in the Name of the One who gave His all for us, and for whom many have gladly died, to be a big success with thousands of people hanging on my every cheap two-bit word and insipid smile which will not give them even a fraction of the everlasting abundant life that Jesus gave His for.....''

And yes, Homer, give the world and my atheist friends who despise Christendom something more to mock Jesus for.

But, I'm not anyone's judge, and I'm sure God will have a few things to say to me on That Day.
I'll ask my husband if I should delete this, but he's asleep right now.
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”