The Trinity and Light

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
Homer

The Trinity and Light

Post by Homer » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:44 am

"The One true God" is often quoted as proof that Jesus and the Spirit can not at the same time be God. But can not God be one and behave as the Son and the Spirit also? How is it that Light, which God created, can be three?
The weird way that light can behave as both a wave and a particle has been known to physicists for about a century, but a team in Lausanne has only now managed to capture it doing both at the same time.
See here, amazing:

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... e-particle

jriccitelli

Re: The Trinity and Light

Post by jriccitelli » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:49 am

(Happy Lords day to you Homer) I asked my wife your question as food for thought, and she said how bout a prism? (I was impressed, but she is good)

This question may not be as hard to answer, as is the answer to 'do photons have mass?' Light has energy and momentum yet it does not have mass. This defies common theory, but it does paint a portrait of God. Light does have multiple 'spectrums' so that does explain how: one can be many, for example. I do not believe God is actually made of photons, I presume God is using light as something we can 'almost' kinda comprehend to 'describe' God, God Who is more incomprehensible than light. God made light, so like some other things in nature, i believe even light was made in His 'image' (not photon particles, but the concept and idea of illumination). And in scripture it also mentions there is no longer a need for the light of the sun (future), I don't know what this would look like, but it is something incomprehensible to us, but I really think this is just saying God being with us, is of greater light than the sun or photons.

(I came across an interesting allusion to three in electrical theory recently Homer, not 3 phase power, but something in natural electron theory, but I dont know what document i saved it to. Have to look it up)

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:38 pm

Homer wrote:"The One true God" is often quoted as proof that Jesus and the Spirit can not at the same time be God.
Who quotes Jesus' prayer to His Father as "the One true God" for that purpose? I don't know of anyone who believes that "Jesus and the Spirit can not at the same time be God." (I'll take "God" in this context to mean "deity" or "divinity").
The only theology of which I am aware in which such an assertion might be made would be a particular stripe of modalism (not your kind).
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Homer

Post by Homer » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:05 pm

Interestingly, Ravi Zacharias relates the story of how Einstein and another prominent scientist were arguing about whether light was particles or waves. A secular Jew commenting on their discussion said that this would be no problem for a Christian Trinitarian; light is both.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:26 pm

I wouldn't put it quite that way. I don't think "light is both." I think light BEHAVES like both.
According to scientists, what light actually IS, is bundles of energy called "photons." These photons behave like particles and also like waves.

Now tell us what the Trinity (if it exists) actually is.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:14 pm

One God Three Persons.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:42 pm

Dizerner, does "three persons" mean three individual conscious entitities?
Paidion

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:37 pm

Absolutely yes!

Jesus and the Father come and make their home in us by the Spirit.

When Jesus said:

we speak of what we know and testify of what we have seen, and you do not accept our testimony

He was not using the royal "we" any more than "Let US make man in OUR image." Three conscious entities with separate identities, yet a unity so strong they are identified with a singular pronoun over 10 thousand times.

darinhouston

Post by darinhouston » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:22 am

No physicist I'm aware of would suggest that light is both particle and wave. I believe the observations are that light "behaves" as both a particle would and as a wave would (or more properly, perhaps, "according to both wave and particle theories").

Also, I can't fathom that the bible references light with anything like this in view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:01 am

There are a lot of threes in nature, but I think it's a bit weak and silly to try to prove/illustrate the Trinity with them, anymore then using a caterpillar/butterfly to illustrate the new birth.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”