Isaiah 53

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
jaydam

Isaiah 53

Post by jaydam » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:15 pm

I have struggled with what I see as a contradiction in Isaiah 53.

Isaiah 53:4b seems to indicate we are mistaken to believe that Christ's suffering was inflicted by God, but is immediately contradicted in 53:6 and later it says that he was bruised and put to grief by God's pleasure (53:10).

So which is it?

I do find it interesting that the Greek translated "for" in 53:5 can also mean "by" and is so translated in the first line of 53:8. Therefore, Christ could be seen as not being wounded and bruised "for" but "by" the people's transgressions and iniquities.

In fact, my NET Bible translates "for" as "because of."

This would make sense because it was the people who as the NET translates 53:8 "was led away after an unjust trial... cut off from the land of the living, because of the rebellion of his own people he was wounded."

The further implications I am uncertain of as far as the translation of this chapter, but it at least seems contradictory that the author first indicates the people are mistaken that God is afflicting Christ then later says that God is afflicting Christ for us.

In my layman's opinion, it seems that the author could be saying that God did not afflict Christ, but Christ's suffering came from the people. And it seems the NET avoids the contradiction I find in other translations.

However, this would have serious implications on penal substitutionary atonement.

I can't imagine I am the only one to consider this issue. Has anybody else already studied this out and can shed more light on what seems like such a pivotal passage?

Paidion

Re: Isaiah 53

Post by Paidion » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:33 pm

I am indeed aware of the contradiction. However, it occurs only in the Masoretic form of the Hebrew. The Masoretic text was completed in the ninth century.
In cave 4 of Qumran, the Hebrew text is of a different form from that found in the other caves. I will call that "Form 1." The form of Hebrew found in other caves of Qumran, I will call "Form 2." The Masoretic text was translated Form 2 Hebrew.

The New Testament writers quoted from the Septuagint, a translation of the Form 1 Hebrew text into Greek, translated around 300 B.C.

Here is a translation (of the passage in question) from the Septuagint, translated by Sir Lancelot C. L. Brenton in 1851. I don't think you fill find a contradiction:
4 He bears our sins, and is pained for us: yet we accounted him to be in trouble, and in suffering, and in affliction.
5 But he was wounded on account of our sins, and was bruised because of our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and by his bruises we were healed.
6 All we as sheep have gone astray; every one has gone astray in his way; and the Lord gave him up for our sins.
7 And he, because of his affliction, opens not his mouth: he was led as a sheep to the slaughter, and as a lamb before the shearer is dumb, so he opens not his mouth.
8 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken away from the earth: because of the iniquities of my people he was led to death.
9 And I will give the wicked for his burial, and the rich for his death; for he practised no iniquity, nor craft with his mouth.
10 The Lord also is pleased to purge him from his stroke. If ye can give an offering for sin, your soul shall see a long-lived seed.
Notice that verse 10 in the Septuagint says the exact opposite to verse 10 in the Masoretic text.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:53 pm

I think the idea of Isaiah 53:4b is that "we accounted him smitten of God for his own sins" as would be the classic Hebrew theology for one bearing illnesses and despised of men (v2-3). Then it turns it around and surprises the reader with "but it was our sins for which God did it," something they would have never expected. Also v. 10, if the LXX reading is correct, could be speaking of resurrection.

jaydam

Post by jaydam » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:16 pm

Interesting ideas.

It seems one reading leaves the injuries to Christ in the hands of the people, while the other still accounts Christ's affliction as originating from God.

The NET seems most clear of the popular translations, although it talks of some difficulties with 53:10.

The NRSV also notes problems with that verse.

The NET does change verse 4 drastically though by adding "for something he had done."

It seems to me without adding that phrase you could see that the weight of affliction on Christ is being blamed on the people.

However, adding that phrase leaves the affliction's origination as coming from God, but on the people's behalf.

jaydam

Post by jaydam » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:24 pm

dizerner wrote:I think the idea of Isaiah 53:4b is that "we accounted him smitten of God for his own sins" as would be the classic Hebrew theology for one bearing illnesses and despised of men (v2-3). Then it turns it around and surprises the reader with "but it was our sins for which God did it," something they would have never expected. Also v. 10, if the LXX reading is correct, could be speaking of resurrection.
I think this makes the most sense. Thanks for the input.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”