Greater works

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
jaydam

Greater works

Post by jaydam » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:51 am

It's a minor consideration, but I've been discussing with some people over what the greater works people who believe in Christ will do. The Bethel idea being that Christ modeled what we should all be able to do as humans in right relationship with God.

Putting aside many aspects of my discussion with these people, I'd like input on the following rationale:

Christ's miracles were taken as proof of his deity. If someone could perform greater (qualitative) miracles than Christ, wouldn't that mean that the person could lay a greater claim than Christ to being held as a deity themselves?

Homer

Re: Greater works

Post by Homer » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:35 am

Hi Jaydam,

I have long thought the greater works were the disciples that were made. I know that is the work of God through the Spirit but as the "great commission" indicates it is our work too. Jesus had a small following when He left this earth and that following exploded from Pentecost on; more converts in one day (3,000) than Jesus had when He ascended and another 2,000 by Acts 4:4.

mattrose

Re: Greater works

Post by mattrose » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:01 am

We are the body of Christ. The only way miracle working could serve as evidence for another individuals deity is if they specifically rejected the notion that Christ was working through them.

Personally, I think of the 'greater works' not as greater miracles, but as the next stage in God's mission. We continue the work that Christ began.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”