Do you obey Jesus?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
JacobMartinMertens

Do you obey Jesus?

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:22 pm

Do you obey Jesus?

Jesus is Lord! When you recognize Jesus as Lord in your life you are recognizing who He is and that you are to obey Him.

Do you know what Jesus taught? Do you know His words and commands? God's instruction is for us, how much more the words of Jesus our Lord.

If you do not yet know Jesus as Lord you can read about Him, and about salvation in Him, in the Bible. Salvation cannot be found in this world, neither in heaven nor in earth, apart from Him.
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

dizerner

Re: Do you obey Jesus?

Post by dizerner » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:12 pm

I have not already attained, nor am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:15 pm

dizerner wrote:I have not already attained, nor am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.
What have you not already attained? No one is perfected. When is a person perfected? Does this have to do with when a person is glorified? What about from glory to glory now?
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:43 pm

JacobMartinMertens wrote:
dizerner wrote:I have not already attained, nor am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.
What have you not already attained? No one is perfected. When is a person perfected? Does this have to do with when a person is glorified? What about from glory to glory now?
I do not consider my self to have taken hold of it yet; but one thing I focus on: forgetting all that lies behind me, and reaching forward to those things that lie ahead, I press towards the goal for the prize of the upward calling of God in Christ Jesus!

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:55 pm

dizerner wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote:
I do not consider my self to have taken hold of it yet; but one thing I focus on: forgetting all that lies behind me, and reaching forward to those things that lie ahead, I press towards the goal for the prize of the upward calling of God in Christ Jesus!
Yes, I know you are talking about scripture. We should obey Jesus. Do you fall short in this or are you simply saying your walk is by faith? It may be that I did my best is not enough, but you may be saying you press on. Salvation is not by works so this can't be what it means to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:19 pm

JacobMartinMertens wrote:Yes, I know you are talking about scripture. We should obey Jesus. Do you fall short in this or are you simply saying your walk is by faith? It may be that I did my best is not enough, but you may be saying you press on. Salvation is not by works so this can't be what it means to work out your salvation with fear and trembling.
Whoever is mature, let us think this way; and if you disagree, God will reveal it to you. Nevertheless, to whatever degree we have already attained, let us walk in that principle and be of the same mind.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:34 pm

Jacob, let's be specific. What did Jesus recommend or require, as recorded in Matt 5, 6, and 7?

Here are some of these instructions. Never mind whether or not you are flawless; that's a distraction. Just ask yourself whether you follow these specific instructions consistently.
1. You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.

2.Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

3. Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

4. Therefore be perfect [complete], as your heavenly Father is perfect. [Perfection is possible or Jesus wouldn't command it.

5. Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing so that your giving may be in secret. And when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.

6. And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret.

7. Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

8. No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

9. Do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

10. Do not judge so that you will not be judged.

11. First take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.

12. Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.

13. Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

14. Whatever you want others to do for you, do that very thing for others.

13. Enter by the narrow gate and travel the hard road that leads to lfe, and avoid the wide gate and the easy road that leads to destruction.

14. Beware of false prophets who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Paidion wrote:Jacob, let's be specific. What did Jesus recommend or require, as recorded in Matt 5, 6, and 7?

Here are some of these instructions. Never mind whether or not you are flawless; that's a distraction. Just ask yourself whether you follow these specific instructions consistently.
1. You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.

2.Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

3. Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

4. Therefore be perfect [complete], as your heavenly Father is perfect. [Perfection is possible or Jesus wouldn't command it.

5. Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing so that your giving may be in secret. And when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.

6. And when you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites, for they disfigure their faces that their fasting may be seen by others. But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, that your fasting may not be seen by others but by your Father who is in secret.

7. Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

8. No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.

9. Do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

10. Do not judge so that you will not be judged.

11. First take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.

12. Do not give dogs what is holy, and do not throw your pearls before pigs, lest they trample them underfoot and turn to attack you.

13. Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

14. Whatever you want others to do for you, do that very thing for others.

13. Enter by the narrow gate and travel the hard road that leads to lfe, and avoid the wide gate and the easy road that leads to destruction.

14. Beware of false prophets who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.
I was not thinking about being flawless or not being flawless. I was thinking only about obeying Jesus. You have related some of His commands. It is not about me. This was without distraction. Do you obey Jesus? It is not about trying to obey Jesus. It is about whether you do or not.

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:07 pm

You're fishing again Jacob.

Just tell us your opinion.
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:13 pm

morbo3000 wrote:You're fishing again Jacob.

Just tell us your opinion.
What is fishing? What do you mean here? Why do people have difficulty with this question?

Obeying Jesus is not up to anyone's opinion. Sorry.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”