Improper to pronounce Yahweh?

God, Christ, & The Holy Spirit
Si

Improper to pronounce Yahweh?

Post by Si » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:43 pm

Recently I was listening to a local Christian radio station, and a caller referred to The Father as Yahweh. The host said he should not pronounce the name out loud. His reasoning was that Jesus always just called him Father, and being our Heavenly Father, we should follow his example and do likewise. Just as it would be disrespectful to call our biological Father by his proper name, likewise it is disrespectful for us to do so to our Heavenly Father. Also, he pointed out that the use of the Septuagint by the Biblical authors (which used "Kyrios", and not YHWH) shows that the practice of not pronouncing the name was in practice by the Apostles, who would also have used "Adonai" in Hebrew. Finally, he suggested that use of the name would be offensive to, and thus an unnecessary stumbling block to non-believing Jews.

Yet I have heard other Christians say that it a custom that was unknown to the early Church, and we should embrace the use of the name. Some modern translations have even sought to put the name back in scripture instead of LORD (HCSB, WEB). And why is it in the text of the Old Testament in Hebrew thousands of times, if it is meant to be reduced to a footnote in our translations and unspoken in our worship?

What would constitute a Christian taking the Lord's name in vain? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

psimmond

Re: Improper to pronounce Yahweh?

Post by psimmond » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:29 pm

Here's a good blog post on taking the Lord's name in vain:
http://credohouse.org/blog/taking-the-l ... eally-mean

I agree with the article that I provided the link to and disagree with almost everything the guy on the radio said except the bit about offending Jews. If I knew I was in the company of religious Jews, I would refrain from saying "Yahweh."
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

Si

Post by Si » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:12 pm

Thanks for the link, very informative. In light of the fact that the New Testament writers did not use YHWH, but "Kyrios" (Lord), do you think we should look on it not necessarily as an example to follow, but them using a first century custom that we need not imitate? Clearly it would have been a problem for the Apostles to use the name when preaching in the Synagogues. But perhaps it is legalistic to say Christians should not use it among themselves?

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:31 am

Si wrote: Thanks for the link, very informative. In light of the fact that the New Testament writers did not use YHWH, but "Kyrios" (Lord), do you think we should look on it not necessarily as an example to follow, but them using a first century custom that we need not imitate? Clearly it would have been a problem for the Apostles to use the name when preaching in the Synagogues. But perhaps it is legalistic to say Christians should not use it among themselves?
It is definitely a longstanding Jewish tradition, but Gentiles have never been bound to Jewish traditions (or Jewish law). I would agree that it would be legalistic to say Christians should not use it among themselves, but if a Christian really felt convicted to practice this tradition, I wouldn't try to hard to stop them. (But it would bother me if they were trying to push this tradition on other Christians.)
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

Si

Post by Si » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:12 am

psimmond wrote:It is definitely a longstanding Jewish tradition, but Gentiles have never been bound to Jewish traditions (or Jewish law). I would agree that it would be legalistic to say Christians should not use it among themselves, but if a Christian really felt convicted to practice this tradition, I wouldn't try to hard to stop them. (But it would bother me if they were trying to push this tradition on other Christians.)
Well said, thanks. Although most people seem comfortable using Lord instead of Yahweh, I had honestly never heard a Christian state the views I heard on the radio the other day, and it kind of surprised me. They aren't bad points, but after this conversation, I find myself also disagreeing.

Return to “Theology Proper, Christology, Pneumatology”