And the point is what, exactly?

Man, Sin, & Salvation
dizerner

Re: And the point is what, exactly?

Post by dizerner » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:19 am

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:28 am

I wondered how on earth God could have allowed the catholic pope and that institution to carry on for so many years in the name of Christ. I now wonder why God continues to allow the Protestants to be ‘ruled over’ by ‘Pastors’ and denominations as if this was any better. Why does God allow moms to die in labor, or why are children born with serious birth defects, there are so many things I don’t understand. God uses the unfair chain of events to convince us of our deplorable condition and lack of understanding, yet it makes us wonder when God will intercede and why does God allow it to get so horrible at times?

It never seems to really get better, as soon as we fix one problem man falls for a different lie. Man turns good for evil, and calls the evil good. The only point I see in it all is that God must be proving His point: Man is completely unable to come to truth or goodness without Him. It is not ‘fair’ for everyone, but it is justice for everyone, ‘eventually’. The temporal is not fair or even just, as freewill allows for injustice, but ultimately when God rules from everyone’s heart it will be just.

It was not ‘fair’ that God sacrificed His Son, because He didn’t 'have to'. God went ‘beyond fair’ and turned unfairness into forgiveness, and it was Just.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:50 am

Brenden,

My sympathies to you. I am the last of my immediate family, having lost my parents and a brother and sister. But I can not say "I know how you feel" because we never really know.

You mentioned a list:
The standard (cliched) answers seem to come in one of the following:
And I would add another that is seldom mentioned: God is a merciful God, and although a person may stand before Him condemned, as we all deserve to be, He still knows every heart and every circumstance, and in the end mercy is always an option for him. I have no doubt that He will do what is right in every case.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:22 pm

I have no tribulation in my life to speak of. My immediate family, including my parents, are alive and well.

I listen carefully to Christian brothers and sisters who are going through troubles or sad times. I want to help and encourage, but I also want to learn to be ready for whatever unexpected tragedies might occur in my life, not to mention the sad or difficult parts of life that I know (or can at least assume) are coming.

Maybe one of the "points" is that we grow in faith and love for each other. God's judgment is right.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

psimmond

Post by psimmond » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Brenden, I have nothing to add that's worth reading, but I am very sorry for your loss...
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:57 pm

Thank you all for your comforting words. One thing I did think, though, in going through this period over my Mom and 10 years ago over my Dad, is that I think the Jewish idea of sitting shiva makes more sense than the Western Dutch Reformed "Put your boots on and get back to work" approach to mourning. I think we Westerners are wound WAY too tight. :cry:

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:01 am

I was going to encourage you to take time to mourn, but i was wound up to much to know how to say so :? I really am glad i took time to think about my mom and dad after their passing, to reminisce about all the good times we had, visualizing us walking together and doing things together. i think it is good because the memories are so fresh in your mind, so even now i think back to the memories i went over in my mind when i was mourning, and i think that imprinted them on my mind even more, and this gives me comfort and gladness.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”