keeping Gods comandments

Man, Sin, & Salvation
zeke

keeping Gods comandments

Post by zeke » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:38 pm

In first John 5,it talks about keeping Gods commandments.What are they?Where do I find them?How do you know if you have kept them?Are they the laws of Moses?As you can see,I am a little confused.Thanks so much,God bless.

Homer

Re: keeping Gods comandments

Post by Homer » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:21 am

Hi Zeke,
In first John 5,it talks about keeping Gods commandments.What are they?
Jesus is Lord. Jesus' commandments are God's commandments. See Matthew 28:19-20. Christians (disciples) are taught to obey Christ, and the teachings on the Apostles who represented Him.
Where do I find them?
In the New Testament.
How do you know if you have kept them?
Self examination is a good way; see 1 Corinthians 13:5
Are they the laws of Moses?
No, we are not under the Law of Moses; we are under the Law of Christ.

Hope this helps.

God bless, Homer

zeke

Post by zeke » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:53 am

Thanks Homer,very much appreciated.I will test myself by these Scriptures.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:01 pm

Thanks Homer,very much appreciated.I will test myself by these Scriptures.

Hi Zeke,

The commands of Jesus & his Apostles don't always sound like commands but often principles. For example the beautitudes of Matthew 5-7 sound more like principals but if you are a Jesus follower they really s/b looked at as commands. Or Paul talking about love in 1st Cor 13, or the story of the good Samaritan are not outright commands but more like the way we should be.
All together there are around 50 of these principles in the NT.

zeke

Post by zeke » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:02 am

Thank you so much,Steve.I will review all of this.God Bless you.

Dennis007

Post by Dennis007 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:25 am

1. Gods commandments:

Exodus 16
27 And it came to pass, that there went out some of the people on the seventh day for to gather, and they found none.
28 And the LORD said unto Moses, How long refuse ye to keep my commandments and my laws?

Exodus 24
12 And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them.

Matthew 4
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

The only words that came directly out of the mouth of God to the people were the 10 Commandments. Jesus said that Man should live by them!
Exodus 20:
1 And God spake all these words, saying,
2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Verses 3 - 17 are the 10 Commandments

According to scripture, -- The 10 Commandments are God's Commandments and law. God himself spoke them and wrote them in stone. Exodus 16:28 proves that the 10 Commandments were God's Commandments before he wrote and spoke them, -- and they will always be His Commandments!

Psalms 111:
7 The works of his hands are verity and judgment; all his commandments are sure.
8 They stand fast for ever and ever, and are done in truth and uprightness.

2. The 10 Commandments are NOT the Law of Moses:
The Bible phrase "Law of Moses" refers to the 5 books that Moses wrote.
"Judaism 101
The word "Torah" is a tricky one, because it can mean different things in different contexts. In its most limited sense, "Torah" refers to the Five Books of Moses: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy. But the word "torah" can also be used to refer to the entire Jewish bible (the body of scripture known to non-Jews as the Old Testament and to Jews as the Tanakh or Written Torah), or in its broadest sense, to the whole body of Jewish law and teachings."
© Copyright 5756-5766 (1995-2006), Tracey R Rich -- http://www.jewfaq.org/torah.htm

Dennis007

Post by Dennis007 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:42 pm

What did Paul mean by the phrase "under the law"?

Romans 6
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Does it mean that those under grace can lie, steal, and murder with impunity? He is not talking about being under the jurisdiction of the law, -- he is talking about being under the condemnation of the law. Those under grace are not under the condemnation of the law because they are obeying it. It is the disobedient who are under the condemnation of the law! Sin does not have dominion over the obedient!

Moses wrote about 3 different types of law. 1. Civil law, about judicial crime and punishment.
2. ceremonial law, illustrating the plan of redemption by the Lamb of God.
3. The moral law, which is the 10 Commandments. This law was written and spoken by God Himself.

The first 4 commandments require us to love God, The last 6 require us to love our neighbor. The Civil law can only apply under a Theocracy, which no longer exhists. The ceremonial law came to an end when the Temple veil was torn at the death of Jesus Christ. The moral law applies to all beings with the ability to make moral choices!

The yearly Sabbaths are part of the ceremonial law illlustrating the plan of redemption. The weekly Sabbaths are a memorial of creation and are included in the moral law by God Himself.

Homer

Post by Homer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:26 pm

Dennis,

Here is some info for your consideration:

http://www.theos.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... nts#p40513

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Dennis, do you keep the Sabbath day? That is, do you refrain from work, from having heat in your house from sundown Friday night until sundown Saturday night?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Dennis007

Post by Dennis007 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:52 am

Homer, I find it interesting that you recomend a response by an unbeliever. I am not suprised that an unbeliever thinks that the Sermon on the mount is more important than the 10 Commandments. Do you agree with the unbeliever that those who recomend the 10 Commandments are ignoring the teachings of Jesus in order to advance their own doctrine of hate?

Do you know who Jesus is? Have you read the 1st chapter of John's Gospel? Do you know who created this world in 6 days and rested on the seventh day? Who do you think it was that blessed the seventh day and made it holy? Who was it that spoke to Moses out of the burning bush? Who was that Rock that Moses struck, and out flowed life-giving water? Who do you think it was that wrote the Ten Commandments with His own finger in tables of stone? Do you think it is wise to rate the importance of the things Jesus did?

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”