How do you handle Hebrews 7:25

Man, Sin, & Salvation
robbyyoung

Re: How do you handle Hebrews 7:25

Post by robbyyoung » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:46 pm

dwilkins wrote:...but I don't see the atonement or intercession by Christ applying to anyone who doesn't repent towards him, personally.
Doug,

How can someone repent towards Christ who NEVER heard of Him? Paul says these people will be judged outside of this knowledge. Apparently, these people ARE NOT without hope as their heart and conscience aligns towards God's inherent Law within mankind, and can/will excuse them from God's penalizing judgement. Christ's atoning work seems to cover their sins as well. We do not know much of what is taking place in heaven right now, but one thing is for sure, believers are not sitting on theirs hands doing nothing. So many questios, but we are left without clarifying answers.

God Bless.

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:10 am

robbyyoung wrote:
dwilkins wrote:...but I don't see the atonement or intercession by Christ applying to anyone who doesn't repent towards him, personally.
Doug,

How can someone repent towards Christ who NEVER heard of Him? Paul says these people will be judged outside of this knowledge. Apparently, these people ARE NOT without hope as their heart and conscience aligns towards God's inherent Law within mankind, and can/will excuse them from God's penalizing judgement. Christ's atoning work seems to cover their sins as well. We do not know much of what is taking place in heaven right now, but one thing is for sure, believers are not sitting on theirs hands doing nothing. So many questios, but we are left without clarifying answers.

God Bless.
One of the reasons that I think Eternal Conscious Torment doesn't work is that you are torturing people forever for something they'd never heard of. Annihilation is more fair, because they are judged according to their conscience for a limited period of time, though they have no option for eternal life if they hadn't repented in this life. Restorationist Universalism simply says that they hear the gospel while being judged or punished in the afterlife, and that they have the chance to repent at that time. The only personal eschatology system that provides hope after death is Universalsim. But, there are some soteriological systems that allow for salvation for people who never turned towards Christ. The theology they represent is too liberal for my taste.

Doug

TheEditor

Post by TheEditor » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:21 am

The theology they represent is too liberal for my taste.

I would be curious as to some examples of this liberal theology. Personally, I side with God's friend Abraham when he, without the benefit of the example of Jesus, said "It is unthinkable that the judge of the whole world would sweep away the righteous along with the unrighteous." Either people are going to get a fair hearing before they are "swept away" for all eternity, or the Judge of the whole world will do the "unthinkable."

Regards, Brenden.
[color=#0000FF][b]"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery."[/b][/color]

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:21 pm

I'm not sure that's what Abraham meant. I think what he was trying to say was that the good guys shouldn't be wiped out with the bad guys. But, that doesn't imply that the bad guys shouldn't be wiped out.

As far as examples of what I'm talking about, pluralistic views on salvation are too liberal for me. I don't see more than one road.

http://www.amazon.com/Four-Views-Salvat ... +salvation

Doug

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”