Your opinion on God’s Law.

Man, Sin, & Salvation
JacobMartinMertens

Your opinion on God’s Law.

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:14 pm

Your opinion on God’s Law. Do you believe God’s Law is only for pointing out sin in a person’s life so that they can understand their need for a Savior and be saved by God and Jesus? Or, do you believe God’s Law is also to be obeyed, or is also for our obedience?
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

Paidion

Re: Your opinion on God’s Law.

Post by Paidion » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:27 pm

For Christ is the end [τελος—termination] of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. (Romans 10:4)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:28 pm

Paidion wrote:For Christ is the end [τελος—termination] of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. (Romans 10:4)
What do you mean when you quote this verse?
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:37 pm

I mean only what Paul obviously means. Consider the context:

1 Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for them [the Jews] is that they may be saved.
2 I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge.
3 For, being ignorant of the righteousness that comes from God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness.
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
5 For Moses writes about the righteousness that is based on the law, that the person who does the commandments shall live by them.
6 But the righteousness based on faith says...
8 ... “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim);
9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes and is made righteous, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

I think God's Law is not tantamount to the Law of Moses. I think God's law, in part, is expressed in "the law of Christ" as He gave in in Matt 5, 6, and 7, and this is the law that we Christians are to obey.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:50 pm

Paidion wrote:I mean only what Paul obviously means. Consider the context:

1 Brothers, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for them [the Jews] is that they may be saved.
2 I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge.
3 For, being ignorant of the righteousness that comes from God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness.
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
5 For Moses writes about the righteousness that is based on the law, that the person who does the commandments shall live by them.
6 But the righteousness based on faith says...
8 ... “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim);
9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes and is made righteous, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

I think God's Law is not tantamount to the Law of Moses. I think God's law, in part, is expressed in "the law of Christ" as He gave in in Matt 5, 6, and 7, and this is the law that we Christians are to obey.
By God's Law you may mean the Law of Moses. What about the entirety of God's Law, in all that He has commanded us in the Bible?

The question is if you should obey God and if you should obey Jesus.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:56 pm

There's no question about it. Every genuine Christian believes in obeying God and Jesus.
But not every Christian believes that the Law of Moses is tantamount to the Law of God.
Not every Christian believes you should have your rebellious son stoned to death as the Law of Moses required.
Paidion

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Paidion wrote:
There's no question about it. Every genuine Christian believes in obeying God and Jesus.
But not every Christian believes that the Law of Moses is tantamount to the Law of God.
Not every Christian believes you should have your rebellious son stoned to death as the Law of Moses required.
The Law of Moses is God's Law. But that is not all there is to God's Law.

Homer

Post by Homer » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Your opinion on God’s Law. Do you believe God’s Law is only for pointing out sin in a person’s life so that they can understand their need for a Savior and be saved by God and Jesus? Or, do you believe God’s Law is also to be obeyed, or is also for our obedience?
If we are disciples we will obey, but we are never perfect and can not be saved by law-keeping. And what's more Moses informed the people that the laws were for their benefit:

Deuteronomy 10:12-13 (NASB)

12. “Now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require from you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all His ways and love Him, and to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, 13. and to keep the Lord’s commandments and His statutes which I am commanding you today for your good?

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:43 pm

JacobMartinMertens wrote:But that is not all there is to God's Law.
What is God's law?
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:47 pm

morbo3000 wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote:But that is not all there is to God's Law.
What is God's law?
God's Law has been used to refer to the Law of Moses. It is instruction from God.

1 Corinthians 9:19-23 NASB - 19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. 23 I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”