Image of God in Humans

Man, Sin, & Salvation
dizerner

Re: Image of God in Humans

Post by dizerner » Mon May 09, 2016 9:45 pm

Homer wrote:I'm not grasping how the ability to have a relationship with the transcendent God makes us in His image. He has no comparable relationship with a being greater than He.
Does your wife need intimacy with a greater than you to be a reflection of you in some way? I don't mean it blasphemously but in some sense we are his equals (albeit only in a certain way and not others). Notice the metaphorical parallel with Adam rummaging all around for someone "suitable" as a companion for him. For all the angels God has, it would seem in the incarnation he made a special statement about his ability to have a relationship with man.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Tue May 10, 2016 8:46 am

Homer wrote:I'm not grasping how the ability to have a relationship with the transcendent God makes us in His image. He has no comparable relationship with a being greater than He.
Hey Homer!

I don't think I communicated my point very well on that particular theory.

The comparison I meant to make is this: Humans, unlike the animals it seems to me, are spiritual. They have a void in them when not in a healthy relationship with God. They have eternity in their hearts, so to speak. Coming from a Trinitarian perspective, especially, God is inherently relational too. God experiences the deep relationship of Father, Son & Spirit. God has the big picture in mind and considers the future. That's the link I was attempting to make there. We, like God, are deeply relational beings who connect to each other spiritually and have hopes and dreams for our futures together.

Homer

Post by Homer » Tue May 10, 2016 9:45 am

Thanks Matt, I see what you were trying to say. A thought that just sprang to mind is the relationship of love. We see it clearly (or the lack of it) in animals. We have had pets most of our lives and it is interesting to see a mother cat, who would immediately flee from a dog when she has no kittens, yet she will go out to confront a dog who comes near when she does have kittens. Then when the kittens reach a certain age she is done with them; they are as nothing to her. There was no real love there, just instinct. We are loving, relational people when not marred by sin.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Thu May 12, 2016 12:37 pm

dizerner wrote:
Singalphile wrote:
And as noted, different people have differing degrees of all these characteristics. Some people may basically lack them all.
Good point Singal, I think we could make a case that all people have 1. the capacity to potentially experience God and 2. some measure of autonomous choice making ability.
Yes, at least if a person is old enough and healthy. I would only say that a severely down-syndrome fetus is as much made in God image as anyone. I just think that trying to get specific is potentially a little bit dangerous ... and unnecessary. But if some people are inspired or strengthened by that line of thinking, then that's good.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Thu May 12, 2016 12:47 pm

Singalphile wrote:
dizerner wrote:
Singalphile wrote:
And as noted, different people have differing degrees of all these characteristics. Some people may basically lack them all.
Good point Singal, I think we could make a case that all people have 1. the capacity to potentially experience God and 2. some measure of autonomous choice making ability.
Yes, at least if a person is old enough and healthy. I would only say that a severely down-syndrome fetus is as much made in God image as anyone. I just think that trying to get specific is potentially a little bit dangerous ... and unnecessary. But if some people are inspired or strengthened by that line of thinking, then that's good.
There has to be something that defines a human being, right. So already that is some degree of specificity.

Return to “Anthropology, Hamartiology, Soteriology”