Knowledge puffs up, but love edifies. Verse Tool: show

The Benedict Option

The Church

The Benedict Option

Postby darinhouston » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:49 am

Has anyone read this book? It's making the rounds in some classical school circles. Could use one of Matt's great reviews.

The Benedict Option: A Strategy for Christians in a Post-Christian Nation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KUCY7XI/re ... 6ybMAJJ58V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
darinhouston

Re: The Benedict Option

Postby mattrose » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:26 pm

I added it to my amazon wish list about a week ago after hearing it get mentioned in a few different places. But I'm not sure when I'll actually purchase it. Could be interesting.
mattrose

Postby darinhouston » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:20 pm

mattrose wrote:I added it to my amazon wish list about a week ago after hearing it get mentioned in a few different places. But I'm not sure when I'll actually purchase it. Could be interesting.

I'll buy it for you if you'll review it -- ;)
darinhouston

Postby mattrose » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:08 pm

Haha

I'm actually turning my blog (which I had basically stopped using a few years ago) into a book review site.

I love books and am usually reading quite a few at a time. The other day I had to tell my wife that things had gotten a little out of hand. I have started (with intention of finishing) 18 books. I have a bathroom book, a car book, a waiting for the school bus book, a bathroom at work book, various books I'm using for current teaching/preaching series, etc.

I really mark up my books. Lots of underlining and notes. But even still, I'm finding that I retain information much better when I summarize and review. So I'm excited to turn my blog into a personal resource for just that.
mattrose

Postby darinhouston » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:33 pm

mattrose wrote:Haha

I'm actually turning my blog (which I had basically stopped using a few years ago) into a book review site.

I love books and am usually reading quite a few at a time. The other day I had to tell my wife that things had gotten a little out of hand. I have started (with intention of finishing) 18 books. I have a bathroom book, a car book, a waiting for the school bus book, a bathroom at work book, various books I'm using for current teaching/preaching series, etc.

I really mark up my books. Lots of underlining and notes. But even still, I'm finding that I retain information much better when I summarize and review. So I'm excited to turn my blog into a personal resource for just that.

Well, you do quite a good job of it. I guess I'll just have to wait.
darinhouston

Postby psimmond » Mon May 01, 2017 5:40 pm

The little bit that I've read makes me think of the Amish lifestyle.

This seems to be a movement motivated by fear: If we don't huddle up in tight communities, we'll disappear.

I haven't read the book, but if it endorses anything like the above, I'm not a fan.
Let me boldly state the obvious. If you are not sure whether you heard directly from God, you didn’t.
~Garry Friesen
psimmond

Return to Ecclesiology