Does a Christian have to be in a Church

The Church
MsCread

Re: Does a Christian have to be in a Church

Post by MsCread » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:17 am

I agree that gathering together is an opportunity to serve/worship God, but do not agree that it is ok to gather with believers who have an incorrect version of the Truth.

Well this is the point I was attempting to make, I don't think either that all Christians are going to agree on all things.

If you privately interpret the Bible, yes you will never agree with others, because everyone has the capability to interpret the Bible to suit their own comfort level with the Truth.

I don't personally find that my own comfort level has anything to do with interpreting the scriptures, there are lots of things that are challenging and uncomfortable but you accept what is written regardless of your comfort level. Your comfort level is not a filter for interpretation or it shouldn't be.

The Truth does not change based on your view of it. It is your duty to seek the Truth, whether you like to agree with it all or not. There is one Church where you can find people with no differences. It's the Catholic Church.

This statement intrigues me, there has to be differences within the RCC they accept unbelievers, Mother Church openly welcomes non Christians, I have seen people spend a lifetime in the RCC and never truly know the Lord.

It is bad advice to tell someone to stick with a social church outlet that has potentially flawed theology. I'd be happy to discuss this further in PM so as not to derail the thread, but thought it warranted at least one response here. If others are interested in discussing it, I can start a new thread.

Start a thread I would be interested to hear what you think, might not agree but interested

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:33 am

Jon wrote: Matt,

Where is it written in the Bible what a secondary doctrine is?

Since the Bible is not a systematic theology text-book, it is never stated in those terms. Nevertheless, it is a clear enough principle from Scripture that some articles of faith exist at a core level (even biblical language will often use the word 'must believe') and other doctrines that are debatable due largely to lack of unambiguous revelation (Paul talks about such things).
I agree that gathering together is an opportunity to serve/worship God, but do not agree that it is ok to gather with believers who have an incorrect version of the Truth. If you privately interpret the Bible, yes you will never agree with others, because everyone has the capability to interpret the Bible to suit their own comfort level with the Truth. The Truth does not change based on your view of it. It is your duty to seek the Truth, whether you like to agree with it all or not. There is one Church where you can find people with no differences. It's the Catholic Church.
Haha. Wait... are you being serious?
It is bad advice to tell someone to stick with a social church outlet that has potentially flawed theology. I'd be happy to discuss this further in PM so as not to derail the thread, but thought it warranted at least one response here. If others are interested in discussing it, I can start a new thread.

Jon
Feel free to start a thread. I'm sure you'd find many would contend with your claim that the Catholic Church contains no disagreements within itself and no potentially flawed theology :)

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:56 pm

Was wondering if you found a brick and mortar church you like? Has anything changed for you? I wanted to say that one of the things I liked best about my church at the beginning (I've been there since Jan. 2009) is that the Pastor said it wasn't his job to tell me what to believe or how to think. It was his job to help me discover what I believe, clarify where he can and be a sounding board for my thoughts and ideas. But it is ultimately up to me to figure out what I believe and how far I want to go in my relationship with God. Which is the real goal.

The church at which I began this journey back in 2009 has been a God send (no pun intended). The people are genuine, caring, understanding and open. We have great discussions at our Bible Studies, share differing points of view and enjoy the back and forth. I would be totally lost without this place, so I pray you have found a home and are growing. I truly believe we are all meant to be in fellowship with other believers as we help spread the gospel and the love of God.

Prayers for God's blessings. Hope to hear from you.

jriccitelli

Post by jriccitelli » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:06 pm

"... The people are genuine, caring, understanding and open. We have great discussions at our Bible Studies, share differing points of view and enjoy the back and forth"
That's what I like to hear! Unless we are actually talking, conversing and spending time 'with one another', with God and His word, then we are not actually being the Church. The Church is made of people, not because they are in a box, but because they are 'joined one to another' by 'being with one another'. Being in a building does not connect believers together or cause discipleship, two way conversation is what joins you together in a relationship. This seems like it is almost impossible for most churches to grasp, yet people generally know this, this is what we do 'outside' of church, why not in church?

It is because we have been 'conditioned to think' sitting through a service is 'going' to church. Have worship, prayer, offering and communion 'without the rows of chairs', turn your chairs around, 'enjoy' speaking, talking and getting to know 'all' your brothers and sisters, and discover what Church really can be, together.

Return to “Ecclesiology”