Question re church membership

The Church
MsCread

Question re church membership

Post by MsCread » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:18 am

Hello all,

I would really appreciate any thoughts on the following:

Why is my inclusion in the body of Christ not enough for inclusion into the local New Testament Church assembly?

Why do I have to become a member in order to partake in the Lord's Supper at this local assembly? Is not the Lord's supper for sinners and believers?

Is it biblical to treat members in the body of Christ differently to members of same body who are also members of a local church assembly?

Is it biblical to withhold water baptism until a member of the body of Christ also becomes a member of the local church assembly?

TIA

mattrose

Re: Question re church membership

Post by mattrose » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:50 am

MsCread wrote:Hello all,

I would really appreciate any thoughts on the following:

Why is my inclusion in the body of Christ not enough for inclusion into the local New Testament Church assembly?
In some local churches it would be. In others it wouldn't. It also depends what you mean by inclusion. I doubt, for example, that any local Christian church is banning you from the property until you become a member. You're probably free to assemble there, but with the restrictions you mentioned below.
Why do I have to become a member in order to partake in the Lord's Supper at this local assembly? Is not the Lord's supper for sinners and believers?
The Lord's Supper is for disciples. In a lot of denominations (like mine), you don't have to be an official member of the church to partake... just a professing believer. Other churches think it is necessary to have more evidence that one's profession is legit and so they only allow official members to partake (although, practically, they probably don't keep official members accountable to genuine discipleship either!)
Is it biblical to treat members in the body of Christ differently to members of same body who are also members of a local church assembly?
It depends on what you are talking about, I guess. Do I think it is biblical to ban fellow Christians from sharing in the Lord's Supper b/c they are not official members of that particular local church? No. But there are other issues that aren't really 'biblical' issues at all. For instance, let's say a church is voting on whether or not to bring in a new pastor or add a new building. It makes some sense that only those who have officially committed to that church fellowship should have a vote... if that is their church government structure.
Is it biblical to withhold water baptism until a member of the body of Christ also becomes a member of the local church assembly?
No, I don't think so. In my opinion church membership is an 'extra' and almost meaningless thing. It is not necessarily good or bad. It just is. Baptism is an extremely valuable thing. Denying baptism over a church membership issue is evidence of strange priorities (it seems to me).

MsCread

Post by MsCread » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:45 pm

thanks for the reply Mattrose

MsCread

Post by MsCread » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Hi I have been given a discipleship booklet about baptism and it states as follows:

"All those desiring baptism are presented before the church members and the church votes to receive them into membership upon their baptism"

Questions

1). Why is someone desiring baptism presented before church members?

2). Is it just me or have they baptism and membership tied up together here?

3). Is that biblical?

Return to “Ecclesiology”