Romans 12:14-21

The Church
jaydam

Post by jaydam » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:54 pm

I am doing some research on this passage, and came across an interesting point - albeit a minority point of view - that some consider Romans 12:14-21 to not be speaking of the Christians relationship with outside society, but other Christians.

One of the most interesting articles on this point of view came from Kent L. Yinger through Fuller Theological Seminary. I have access to articles through my school website, and have shared Yinger's in the link below:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1 ... file%2cpdf

Anyone care to weigh in? Do you see it his way, or have you heard this argument before?

I've just always been taught that this pericope applies to Christians being persecuted from outside the body of Christ. Could it be that this passage is actually about how to treat opposition within the church?

morbo3000

Post by morbo3000 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:55 pm

Jaydam: Interesting. The passage certainly works in both instances. Reading it from the perspective of combative fellow believers lends credence to the idea that the church wasn't near as unified as we'd like to hope.

As my tag says, I'm a bear of little brain. What are your studies for? Ministry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.
JeffreyLong.net
Jesusna.me
@30thirteen

jaydam

Re: Romans 12:14-21

Post by jaydam » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:21 pm

morbo3000 wrote:Jaydam: Interesting. The passage certainly works in both instances. Reading it from the perspective of combative fellow believers lends credence to the idea that the church wasn't near as unified as we'd like to hope.

As my tag says, I'm a bear of little brain. What are your studies for? Ministry?
Foremost my studies are for simply my love of learning. Secondly, as the opportunity presents itself I am happy to minister in some fashion.

Return to “Ecclesiology”