Interpretation Of Zechariah 12

End Times
_Anonymous

Interpretation Of Zechariah 12

Post by _Anonymous » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:26 pm

I am becoming increasingly open to the semi-preterist interpretation of eschatology. The one thing I hold to adamantly is the Second Coming of Christ. Beyond this, there are few things that are clear in Scripture concerning how future events will unfold. I do see that there is considerable evidence in Scripture that the nation of Israel will recognize Jesus as their Messiah.

I was curious how you interpret the following verses from Zechariah. We can see partial fulfillment of this when 3000 Jews in Jerusalem responded to Peter's proclamation of the gospel. However, the context of these events foretold by Zechariah is during a period when the nation of Israel is under attack by many nations. Considering their current political dilemma and the potential for circumstances to get considerably worse, it is not too difficult to see the potential for immense pressure driving them to an openness to Christ.

9 On that day I will set out to destroy all the nations that attack Jerusalem.

Mourning for the One They Pierced
10 "And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit [1] of grace and supplication. They will look on [2] me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son. 11 On that day the weeping in Jerusalem will be great, like the weeping of Hadad Rimmon in the plain of Megiddo. 12 The land will mourn, each clan by itself, with their wives by themselves: the clan of the house of David and their wives, the clan of the house of Nathan and their wives, 13 the clan of the house of Levi and their wives, the clan of Shimei and their wives, 14 and all the rest of the clans and their wives.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:54 pm

I understand Zechariah 12:10 to be fulfilled in the outpouring at Pentecost, and this was experienced, initially to the believing remnant of Israel and Juda (the 120 in the upper room), but soon spread to Jews and Gentiles in great numbers.

I believe the judgment on the opposing nations (vv.2-3) speaks of all those who opposed and attacked the Jews who had returned from Babylon and had rebuilt Jerusalem (the Samaritans, Greeks, etc.)...and especially upon the Graeco-Syrians under Antiochus Epiphanes (seen also in Zechariah 9:13) in the Maccabean war.

These battles demonstrated God's preservation of the Jews and their city until the time of Christ and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit (v.10). After that, the destruction of the apostate Jerusalem and the desolate temple are depicted (14:2).

For a more complete discussion of this entire context, see my post on Zechariah 14, in this same category at this forum. God bless.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

Return to “Eschatology”