Isaiah 2 (Temple?)

End Times
_Damon

Post by _Damon » Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:53 pm

Sean wrote:
Damon wrote: Why are you making the assumption - again! - that I'm simply reading the OT the way I want?? I'm most certainly not doing that! I'm trying to understand it the way the original authors intended it, in its historical context, and THEN going to the New Testament to look at how it was interpreted - or oftentimes REinterpreted - there.
I know how you are interpreting it, my point is I try to interpret the way the Apostles did, which is different than reading them in their original context., but pointing to Christ.
Why must the two approaches be in opposition to one another? That seems to be the way you're treating them. Why can't they complement one another instead?
Sean wrote:
Damon wrote: Do you realize that the whole earth is simply a "shadow", as it were, of heaven? Because Christ came, do we no longer need the physical creation??
Wow, why would you say I think that? Is that what I said? No I said the temple was a type.
Right, but if we don't need a physical Temple, only a spiritual one, why stop there? Why shouldn't we just get rid of the physical creation as well?

I was trying to point out that your reasoning doesn't make sense.
Sean wrote:
Damon wrote: I realize that you're never going to agree with me, but the least you could do is to treat me with respect even though I see things differently than you do. I hope you can at least do that much.
I'm trying to dialogue with you but you seem offended when I speak.
Yes. But am I just getting offended because you don't agree with me, or is there something more to it than that?
Sean wrote:
Damon wrote: If this is all that those OT promises meant, then I can imagine that a lot of the Old Testament saints are going to be sorely disappointed to find this out. If I were them, I would feel misled, deceived and cheated.

Sorry, but I'm not willing to even consider that that's the ONLY meaning of those OT promises.

That's what the book of Hebrews says.
You missed my point entirely. Is that ALL that these OT promises meant? Are they ONLY spiritual?

As far as I can see, Hebrews does not make the claim that they're only spiritual.
Sean wrote:Sorry but I missed my punctuation. This is what I meant:
While you point to many passages, I don't understand why you apply them strictly to the Jews, as if these promises don't apply to Gentiles as well.
I apply what's appropriate to apply to the Jews to the Jews, what's appropriate to apply to the Gentiles to the Gentiles, and what's appropriate to apply to both to both. *shrugs*
Sean wrote:
Damon wrote: Fine, I agree with that. But I also believe that God doesn't give up on His people, even if they're apostate - including the Jews. Read Hosea 1 and 2, for instance.
Who are "His people". They are the believers. The unbelieves are being reached through the Gospel. But they've got to believe.
Did you read Hosea 1-2?

[snip]
Sean wrote:Do you remember when Jesus cursed the fig tree and it withered? And He said may you never bear fruit again? What do you think that meant? If Israel is symbolizes by the fig tree, that's not a good sign.
No, Judah is symbolized by the fig tree. Israel's symbol is an olive tree. And Jesus didn't say that it would never bear fruit again. He said that it wouldn't bear fruit literally "for an age". The Greek word there can be interpreted in two ways: one, forever; and two, for a long length of time. See below as to which interpretation is the correct one.
Sean wrote:
Damon wrote: If that's not clear enough, Jesus also says at the end of Matthew 23, "See, your [the Jews'] house is left desolate. I say to you that afterwards you will not see Me until you say,'Blessed is He that comes in the name of the Lord.'" In case you didn't know, that's one of the things that a Jewish bride traditionally says to her husband at their wedding.
That's right, until an unbelieving Jew says that phrase, meaning they believe that Jesus was the Messiah, coming in the name of the Lord, they would not see Him again. (John 14:21)
Now read Zechariah 12:10. NATIONALLY, they proclaim that very thing, as they are shown to be repenting and mourning for the one whom they pierced.
Sean wrote:
Damon wrote: That's why I must disagree with you that God's physical promises to the OT nation of Israel have been either nullified or spiritualized away.
The Apostles "spiritualized" OT texts too.
I never said they didn't. I only said that the spiritual aspect isn't the ONLY right way to understand those promises.
Sean wrote:
Damon wrote: I disagree. Read Acts 21:20-25. God does treat the Jews and the Gentile Christians differently. And there are many other passages - especially in the Old Testament - which indicate a profound difference in how God deals with them.
You disagree with what Paul said in Ephesians 2-4? It is clear that we are one from what he says.
Did you read Acts 21:20-25?
Sean wrote:
Damon wrote: Read Hosea 1 and 2. Apparently there's more to the story than you're letting in.
Is Acts 3:23 incorrect then?
Did you read Hosea 1 and 2?

I'm beginning to realize that I need to hold you accountable for reading and answering the Scriptural citations I give you if we're to have any sort of dialogue at all. You won't even consider what I'm saying otherwise, it seems.

Damon
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:23 pm

Damon wrote:
Right, but if we don't need a physical Temple, only a spiritual one, why stop there? Why shouldn't we just get rid of the physical creation as well?
That's going to happen at the second comming of Christ.
Damon wrote: Yes. But am I just getting offended because you don't agree with me, or is there something more to it than that?
I really don't know Damon as I can't read minds. I am making my case and you are upset with me.
Damon wrote:
You missed my point entirely. Is that ALL that these OT promises meant? Are they ONLY spiritual?

As far as I can see, Hebrews does not make the claim that they're only spiritual.
No, we are also pointed to the restoration of all things, which comes at the second coming. (Acts 3:21)
Damon wrote: Did you read Hosea 1-2?
Yes, now can you make your point from it? Paul quoted from Hosea in Romans as applying to his time.
Damon wrote: No, Judah is symbolized by the fig tree. Israel's symbol is an olive tree. And Jesus didn't say that it would never bear fruit again. He said that it wouldn't bear fruit literally "for an age". The Greek word there can be interpreted in two ways: one, forever; and two, for a long length of time. See below as to which interpretation is the correct one.
Can you cite were you get that Judah is symbolized by the fig tree? And how what Jesus said in Matt 24 applies.
Damon wrote: Now read Zechariah 12:10. NATIONALLY, they proclaim that very thing, as they are shown to be repenting and mourning for the one whom they pierced.
And John sees looking on the one they have pierced as being fulfilled. John 19:37
Damon wrote:

Did you read Acts 21:20-25?
Yes, Paul submitted in love to what was asked of him. This is not however, a didactic principle for showing a division exists between Jew and Gentile, we are one in Christ as Paul explicitly states. We cannot cancel one passage with another, as if the Bible is contradicting itself. I accept Paul's writings as the word of God, but you see them colored by having a Roman half brother. Maybe this is why we disagree.
Damon wrote: Did you read Hosea 1 and 2?

I'm beginning to realize that I need to hold you accountable for reading and answering the Scriptural citations I give you if we're to have any sort of dialogue at all. You won't even consider what I'm saying otherwise, it seems.

Damon
I did read them. Now it's your turn to explain the point you want to make from them.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:32 pm

Sean wrote:Damon,
Why don't you go to the "tape download page" and download some of Steve's studies, like the escatology series. You don't have to agree with them, but at least you will know how what vantage point the Amil interpretation comes from.
I've actually pretty much figured out where it comes from already. One of Steve's previous posts gave me the gist of it, and I can work out the rest for myself. I don't disagree with the Amil position, but I also don't believe that it's correct by itself.

Amil seems based on the premise that prophetic passages speaking of the end time are being fulfilled now, by the Church, and/or are to be interpreted spiritually. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.) I actually do agree with that position. However, I feel that that's not the only way that said prophetic passages are to be interpreted. A spiritual interpretation of a prophetic passage should not negate or nullify a literal interpretation, especially if the context is literal and especially if it's historical.

What I believe in is actually a mix of Amil and pre-mil, with some other thoughts that don't exactly fit into either camp.

Damon
Reason:

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:43 pm

Damon wrote:
Sean wrote:Damon,
Why don't you go to the "tape download page" and download some of Steve's studies, like the escatology series. You don't have to agree with them, but at least you will know how what vantage point the Amil interpretation comes from.
I've actually pretty much figured out where it comes from already. One of Steve's previous posts gave me the gist of it, and I can work out the rest for myself. I don't disagree with the Amil position, but I also don't believe that it's correct by itself.

Amil seems based on the premise that prophetic passages speaking of the end time are being fulfilled now, by the Church, and/or are to be interpreted spiritually. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.) I actually do agree with that position. However, I feel that that's not the only way that said prophetic passages are to be interpreted. A spiritual interpretation of a prophetic passage should not negate or nullify a literal interpretation, especially if the context is literal and especially if it's historical.

What I believe in is actually a mix of Amil and pre-mil, with some other thoughts that don't exactly fit into either camp.

Damon
The reason I bring this up is because you reference a lot of OT passages that Steve covers some in detail. It comes down to interpretation. Neither one of us can point to a set of passages and say "there you go, that's why my position is right". Because we interpret differently.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:39 pm

Sean wrote:
Damon wrote: Right, but if we don't need a physical Temple, only a spiritual one, why stop there? Why shouldn't we just get rid of the physical creation as well?
That's going to happen at the second comming of Christ.
Matthew 19:28 says that when Christ sits on the throne of His glory, the apostles will sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. According to Matthew 25:31, Christ returns to earth and then sits on the throne of His glory, indicating that this throne is on earth.

That seems a far cry from wiping out the physical creation. And yes, I know what passages you're referring to. Take them and put them in context with Romans 8:19-23. Not only our bodies will be changed from flesh to spirit, as we read in 1 Cor. 15, but the whole creation will be changed from corruptible to incorruptible by fire. The physical creation won't cease to exist, it'll simply cease to be physical.
Sean wrote:
Damon wrote: You missed my point entirely. Is that ALL that these OT promises meant? Are they ONLY spiritual?

No, we are also pointed to the restoration of all things, which comes at the second coming. (Acts 3:21)
And is the restoration of all things limited to spiritual things? Does it say that in the text? Can it not also refer to physical things, such as the Temple? And how do we know whether or not that's the case?
Sean wrote:
Damon wrote:Did you read Hosea 1-2?
Yes, now can you make your point from it? Paul quoted from Hosea in Romans as applying to his time.
Yes, in Romans 9:25 Paul applied it in principle to the Gentiles, although it was really talking about Israel. Paul himself said that he was applying it to the Gentiles although it was meant for Israel, in the previous verse!

You asked me "who are 'His people'." I told you by pointing you to Hosea 1-2. Physical Israel is God's people, even though they are presently apostate. He only temporarily calls them "not My people." Paul himself acknowledges this in Romans 11:26 - "all Israel shall be saved." Even though they are presently apostate, they'll repent and return in the future. In the meantime, God's physical promises to them remain irrevocable.

That was my point.
Sean wrote:Can you cite were you get that Judah is symbolized by the fig tree? And how what Jesus said in Matt 24 applies.
According to many, many biblical commentators on the book of Mark, Mark often "frames" concepts and events with related concepts and events. With that in mind, read Mark 11:12-21. Mark "frames" Jesus' entrance to Jerusalem and His overthrow of the moneychangers in the Temple with Jesus and the disciples passing by the fig tree. In other words, in Mark's mind these two circumstances are directly related. Jesus looked for "fruit" when He went into the Temple, but instead of it being a House of Prayer, He found it to be a den of thieves. No fruit! So, just like the fig tree which He cursed, their "house" was likewise cursed. And that's precisely what we find in Matthew 23:37-24:2.

You can also see the inhabitants of Judah being like a basket of good figs and a basket of bad figs sitting before the Temple in Jeremiah 24.
Sean wrote:
Damon wrote: Now read Zechariah 12:10. NATIONALLY, they proclaim that very thing, as they are shown to be repenting and mourning for the one whom they pierced.
And John sees looking on the one they have pierced as being fulfilled. John 19:37
Right. So when did the Jews collectively mourn for the one whom they have pierced? Has that happened yet? If not, when will it happen? The context of Zechariah 12:10 has that answer.
Sean wrote:
Damon wrote:Did you read Acts 21:20-25?
Yes, Paul submitted in love to what was asked of him. This is not however, a didactic principle for showing a division exists between Jew and Gentile, we are one in Christ as Paul explicitly states. We cannot cancel one passage with another, as if the Bible is contradicting itself. I accept Paul's writings as the word of God, but you see them colored by having a Roman half brother. Maybe this is why we disagree.
Ah, so THAT'S why we're having a difficulty here! You think I'm making the bible contradict itself. Well, I'm not. Sorry that I gave you that impression. I don't believe there's any contradiction between the division we see between Jew and Gentile in Acts 21:20-25 and in many other OT passages, and passages like Ephesians 2:13-22 where we see no division. The OT passages are talking about responsibilities, whereas passages like Ephesians 2:13-22 are talking about relationships with God.

God has used both Israel and Judah as servants to minister to the rest of the world (Isa. 43:1-10), and has chosen some of them to be in authority over the rest of the world in the Kingdom (Isa. 2:1-5; Rev. 7:1-8 and 14:1-5). Does that mean that God loves the Gentiles any less? Of course not, because God is no respecter of persons! But that doesn't do away with the special responsibility that Israel has had and will have again in the future.

Damon
Reason:

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:45 pm

Sean wrote:The reason I bring this up is because you reference a lot of OT passages that Steve covers some in detail. It comes down to interpretation. Neither one of us can point to a set of passages and say "there you go, that's why my position is right". Because we interpret differently.
I agree with you to a point, there, so I'm perfectly willing to agree to disagree. However, I feel that it's important to point out that God "declares the end from the beginning." (Isa. 46:10) So, going back and studying the bible from the perspective of understanding the very beginning should actually tell us how to correctly interpret end-time prophecy.

My claim is that that is, in fact, the case. If you prefer to disagree, I won't pursue the matter, but that's why I believe the way I do.

Damon
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:02 pm

Hi Damon,

You might not have read my post on the previous page of this thread. When I first posted it, it was quite brief. You may not have seen it since I enlarged it. The reason I think this is that you are still doing the same thing that I there sought to correct you about, namely, quoting prophetic verses that you are applying to the future, without giving us any reason to apply them to the future. It is not enough to us that you think them to be about the future. The question is, did Christ or the apostles think that they were about the future? You have not attempted to justify or provide exegetical arguments for your futuristic interpretation...you only keep asserting it.

In my opinion, the context of Zechariah 12:10, for example, points to Pentecost, rather than to the end times. This is what I mean when I say that you are at a disadvantage, not understanding the reasoning behind the preterist approach. You might not agree with it, if you heard it, but you would at least know why you can't simply quote a disputed verse, and assume that people like Sean or myself will automatically see it as a futuristic reference.

I am glad that you think you and I are dialoging in a civil manner, but I don't see why you think differently of Sean's comments. I am no more gracious or less disagreeable that is he. It seems your anger toward him is completely arbitrary. If you go back and read his posts prior to your admitting your anger, you will find nothing he has said that shows any more disrespect for your arguments than you show to his. He finds your position unconvincing, and you find his unconvincing. What's the difference? The same can be said about you and me. Because we are not pursuaded by undefended assertions, does this mean we are "blowing off" your arguments. It looks more to me that we are interacting with them.

I don't think Sean or I have insulted you or disrespected you. If either of us have, it was me, not him. On the other hand, you called him "self-righteous" right out of the clear blue sky, with no basis or provocation, and said that he was placing himslef above the Jews, which he had in no way done in any sense. He obviously must have inadvertently touched a nerve with you, but your reaction was inappropriately hostile. When you suggest that there is "something more than disagreement" between you and him, perhaps you should tell him what that "something" is. It is seemingly a mystery to him, and to me as well. If you know what it is, it would be best to speak plainly, rather than mysteriously, about it.

There are so many points of disagreement between us, it makes it hard to keep up with them all. That is all right. We don't have to agree. It is frustrating, though, to see disagreement continue unproductively only because you have not apparently been exposed to the full paradigm that Sean or I work from.

You are no less sure of yourself than Sean or I are sure of ourselves, and may be more so. The difference is that we once held your views, but have studied enough to have changed our opinions. You, on the other hand, are apparently only aware of your position, and our reasons for thinking the way we do have never crossed your mind until this discussion. You feel that you can cast off the opinions of the whole church during its first 18 centuries, and the opinions of men, like myself, whose views have been formed in the context of 30-plus years of teaching verse-by-verse through the whole Bible, without even knowing the rationale for these other people's beliefs.

You have every right to reject the views of the historic church, and of ourselves, if you have studied our position's arguments and found them invalid, but you have not done so. In our discussion here, you have only had occasion to see the tip of an iceberg in the form of a few texts being bandied about. The texts you quote, on the other hand, are very familiar to me, as is your opinion about them (since I taught the same thing for eight years). In this, you would do yourself a favor by acquainting yourself with the views that you wish to refute, or at least to approach the field with greater humility, knowing your ignorance of the other man's position.

------------------------------------

On a point of lesser significance, you said that the fig tree is the symbol for Judah, and the olive tree a symbol for Isreal. Possibly. But there is no established precedent to call this any kind of biblical pattern. Only the cursing of the fig tree can be pointed to as an example of the fig tree symbolizing Judah, though it could as easily represent Israel, or neither, for all we are told of it in the Bible. Baskets of figs (Jeremiah 24) are not precisely the same symbol as a fig tree, but provide the only clear paralle with Judah in the scriptures.

Further, Jeremiah 11:16, uses the olive tree as a symbol of Judah, not Israel, though Paul seems to apply the image to the whole of Israel in Romans 11. Apart from these cases, I know of no other passages that use fig trees or olive trees symbolically of Israel or Judah, and the existing examples do not support the distinction you made.

More important, when Jesus told "the parable of the fig tree" (Matt.24:32), He was not using the fig tree as a symbol of anything. He was just talking about real fig trees...nothing more. This is clear by comparing his remark with its parallel in Luke 21:29, which reads, "Look at the fig tree, and all the trees..." The statement was about trees, not about Israel or Judah. To assert a symbolic meaning of the statement is to go far beyond any interpretation warranted by scripture, and is to unnecessarily impose speculative secondary meanings on a passage that makes perfectly good sense without them.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:54 am

Steve wrote:Hi Damon,

You might not have read my post on the previous page of this thread. When I first posted it, it was quite brief. You may not have seen it since I enlarged it.
No, I hadn't seen it since you enlarged it. I went back and looked at it briefly, but let me go ahead and comment on this final post first.
Steve wrote:The reason I think this is that you are still doing the same thing that I there sought to correct you about, namely, quoting prophetic verses that you are applying to the future, without giving us any reason to apply them to the future. It is not enough to us that you think them to be about the future. The question is, did Christ or the apostles think that they were about the future? You have not attempted to justify or provide exegetical arguments for your futuristic interpretation...you only keep asserting it.
Well, one could turn that around and state that it's quite hard to prove otherwise. Because of our respective backgrounds, we have the different, respective positions that we do. For the moment, we're holding to our respective positions, simply because we can't see any compelling reason to change. Would that be an accurate assessment?
Steve wrote:In my opinion, the context of Zechariah 12:10, for example, points to Pentecost, rather than to the end times.
*shrugs* I can see why you'd interpret it that way, and I don't think it's wrong. The way I read the text, though, it's referring to the whole nation of Judea rather than just part of it. Only part of Judea repented and mourned for Jesus at Pentecost. Also, the previous verse refers to God defending Jerusalem against those who would seek to destroy it, something that would tie in with the scenario described in Matthew 24. (Even if Matthew 24 were to be applied to the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD, that doesn't tie in with Pentecost in roughly 31 AD.) Furthermore, specific mention is made of the house of David in this passage. There's one major problem here: the house of David was elsewhere, by and large, in the first century.
Steve wrote:This is what I mean when I say that you are at a disadvantage, not understanding the reasoning behind the preterist approach.
No, as I said before, I already got the gist of the position when I read that one post of yours a while back. (I'm pretty quick on the uptake.) It made sense to me how certain passages could be interpreted that way, and I'm not saying that I flat-out disagree with the position. However, I still hold to the belief that it cannot be the only way to correctly interpret these prophetic Scriptural passages.
Steve wrote:You might not agree with it, if you heard it, but you would at least know why you can't simply quote a disputed verse, and assume that people like Sean or myself will automatically see it as a futuristic reference.
Yes, I do understand why prophetic passages aren't naturally seen as a futuristic reference, from a preterist viewpoint.
Steve wrote:I am glad that you think you and I are dialoging in a civil manner, but I don't see why you think differently of Sean's comments. I am no more gracious or less disagreeable that is he. It seems your anger toward him is completely arbitrary.
I can assure you, it wasn't. By the way, Sean's approach did change when I got angry. He's now coming across as less dogmatic than he was before. Although he hasn't changed his position - which I never expected him to do anyway, nor would I expect you to change yours - he's changed how he presents it. It's no longer presented as fact, plain for all to see, with no possibility of seeing things another way.

I think what it took for him was the experience of dialoging with someone who could hold their own, as it were, coming from a different viewpoint. Honestly, we're talking about things together that we've all got some strong feelings about, so it's easy to accidentally tread on people's toes if we're not careful. I do see Sean making an effort to be more careful now, and I greatly respect him for it.
Steve wrote:There are so many points of disagreement between us, it makes it hard to keep up with them all. That is all right. We don't have to agree. It is frustrating, though, to see disagreement continue unproductively only because you have not apparently been exposed to the full paradigm that Sean or I work from.
I don't think there will be any further difficulties between Sean and I, even though we'll almost certainly continue to disagree on things.
Steve wrote:You are no less sure of yourself than Sean or I are sure of ourselves, and may be more so. The difference is that we once held your views, but have studied enough to have changed our opinions. You, on the other hand, are apparently only aware of your position, and our reasons for thinking the way we do have never crossed your mind until this discussion.
Umm...I'd be careful of making such a hasty assessment. I've run across variations on the amillenial position many times before this, although I've never read a formal definition of it before now. Coming from a divided religious background as I do, one of the ways I've come to terms with different perspectives is to incorporate multiple perspectives into my belief system. I could label myself both pre-mil and a-mil, for instance.
Steve wrote:You feel that you can cast off the opinions of the whole church during its first 18 centuries, and the opinions of men, like myself, whose views have been formed in the context of 30-plus years of teaching verse-by-verse through the whole Bible, without even knowing the rationale for these other people's beliefs.
Actually, I believe I commented a while back that it was the normative approach for first century Jews to look at human history as spanning a 7000 year period, based on one of their interpretations of the seven days of the Creation account. This belief carried over into nascent Christianity, although it was supplemented by a-mil views which later split off into a separate perspective entirely when Augustine wrote his "City of God".
Steve wrote:On a point of lesser significance, you said that the fig tree is the symbol for Judah, and the olive tree a symbol for Isreal. Possibly. But there is no established precedent to call this any kind of biblical pattern.
If it's all the same to you, I'd rather not argue the point. This is just the tip of the iceberg of a whole study I've done of "two witnesses" symbolism in the bible. I had particular, albeit subtle, reasons for identifying the olive tree with Israel, although the fig tree can be more easily identified with Judah, IMHO. I just don't want to go through a long, drawn-out discussion on it right now, especially since there are other things I'd much rather discuss.
Steve wrote:Further, Jeremiah 11:16, uses the olive tree as a symbol of Judah, not Israel...
Yes, I'm well aware that the symbolism is sometimes reversed. Just so you know.

Damon
Reason:

_Damon

Post by _Damon » Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:37 am

Steve wrote:The preterist view of Old Testament prophecy can begin its assumptions with the declaration of Christ that the temple would be destroyed and Jerusalem overthrown by Rome, “so that all things that are written may be fulfilled” (Luke 21:20-22). While it is true that these words could less-naturally be construed to mean something else, their plainest meaning would be that the events of AD 70 brought the culmination of all that was predicted in the Old Testament writings, including Malachi. Obviously, this interpretation will be disputed by Christians of the “futurist” persuasion, but taking this statement of Christ at face value provides a strikingly workable paradigm into which all Old Testament prophecy fits without violence to the text.
I understand your line of reasoning, but I prefer to take a different tact to understanding how to properly interpret the OT prophecies. I mentioned it in another post in this thread, calling it understanding "the end from the beginning."
Steve wrote:It is not very difficult for a preterist to demonstrate that the apostolic writers applied these prophecies to the time inaugurated by the first coming of Christ, and that no biblical writer applied any of them to the second coming of Christ. What is very difficult is to prove a man wrong who, like yourself, wishes to postulate multiple fulfillments or multiple layers of fulfillment. To prove this idea wrong would be like attempting to prove a universal negative. If a man were to assert that, when Jesus advocated the removal of an offending eye or hand, He meant this both literally and figuratively, it might be difficult to demonstrate him to be in error, even though it is counterintuitive and there is no concrete support for his position.
I'll give just one provable example of a prophecy with multiple fulfillments, then. Take Isaiah 7:14-16, the prophecy of the birth of a child named Immanuel. In the context of this chapter, this was to be a sign to King Ahaz to help him to trust in God's divine protection from the conspiracy to assassinate him and put a puppet king on the throne of Judah. The fulfillment in the birth of Jesus Christ roughly seven hundred years later would not have been a sign to King Ahaz. So historically, this was referring to the birth of a literal child named Immanuel whose father was the prophet Isaiah. (cf. Isa. 8:18 ) But we also know from Matthew 2:15 that it was again fulfilled in Jesus' birth.

When I first began seeing that the bible called for multiple fulfillments of prophecies in certain places, I began to wonder why. Critics of Christianity claim that the New Testament simply "proof texts" the Old Testament by quoting passages out of context. I didn't believe this to be the case, but I still wanted to know why.

Then I came across Isaiah 46:10 which said that God "declared the end from the beginning." In other words, we can understand the end of human history by looking at its beginning. Thus, I began my study of the Creation account and the beginning of human history as recorded in the bible with that in mind.

And I have indeed found the answers I was looking for! I can now explain precisely why Isaiah 7:14-16 should have two separate fulfillments, and what it was that connected them in the first place. Furthermore, I can do the same with many other Old Testament and New Testament prophecies, most of which don't have such clear-cut and provable multiple fulfillments.

I went through a lot of this in my post on prophetic symbolism in this section on Eschatology. Take a look at what I said concerning Jeremiah 4 in that post, and why Jeremiah used 'Creation in reverse' language to describe the destruction of Jerusalem. Again, that understanding came directly out of my studies to try to make sense of "the end from the beginning."
Steve wrote:I think it is possible to show from the scriptures that God will never again embrace a Jewish temple in Jerusalem (John 4:23), a Levitical priesthood (Heb.7:12), animal sacrifices (Heb. 10:8-10), etc. But for many people, belief in the future reestablishment of such things is deeply ingrained in their minds and their emotions. When they are shown the first-century fulfillment of the things that they have always applied to the future, they invariably resort to an appeal for multiple fulfillments.
Well, like I said, that isn't why I'm claiming multiple fulfillments. I never came at it from that direction, anyway. I've also given my answer, earlier in this thread, as to why John 4:23 doesn't preclude having a physical Temple being built in Jerusalem prior to Christ's return. To me, the answer I gave is just as compelling to me as I'm sure John 4:23 is to you. Rather than going through each and every one of the items above, though, I'll leave you to decide whether or not we should simply agree to disagree.
Steve wrote:This reduction in honor given to Christ is observable in the theology of those Christians who take a sympathetic interest in apostate Judaism (just as would be the case of a Christian who became sympathetic to the views of Islam or Hinduism). It is hard to be fully loyal to Christ and sympathetic to His enemies as well.
Umm...the earliest Christians were Jews, and shared a great deal of their views, including an apparently premillenial view of things. (At least, that's how the last few chapters of Revelation were often read, up until the time of Augustine.)

Also, understanding the cultural context of the Old Testament isn't a bad or wrong approach to understanding its proper interpretation. No scholar would put up an argument to understanding Egyptian religious beliefs in their cultural context, would they? They wouldn't try to understand Egyptian beliefs by only looking at them through the lens of Hermetism, Hermeticism, or Freemasonry, would they?

That being the case, why is it okay to do that with the bible?
Steve wrote:Though he greatly desired their salvation (Rom.9:3; 10:1), Paul felt no sympathy toward the views or motivations of his apostate countrymen (Acts 13:46/ Rom.10:21/ 1 Thess.2:14—16/ Phil.3:2). Those Christians who decry what they call “replacement theology” (i.e., the position taken by the apostles and historic Christianity about Israel and the church), are observably guilty of making their own “replacement” of Christ with Israel as being the center of their eschatological interest.
Israel is the center of interest, but from a Christian perspective, it's because the Gentiles have been grafted into Israel. So there should be no difficulty.

Look, let me backtrack and make sure we're on the same page here, historically speaking. You do know that there was a question within first century Judaism, before Christianity ever entered the scene, as to how the Jews should view the Gentiles, right? Judaism was much more of a proselytizing religion at that time. Some of them wanted the Gentiles to observe the whole law of Moses, as we read in Acts 15:1 and in other places. Some of them contended that the Gentiles were only responsible for keeping the so-called seven Noahide Laws - laws which were found throughout the books of the Pentateuch and which were considered binding on all of humanity, not just the Jews. (You can do a web search on these Noahide Laws if you don't already know about them, although I'm pretty certain you do as you've got a lot of years invested in your own studies.) Some of them preferred to avoid the issue entirely and seclude themselves away from the rest of the Jews, considering them to be apostate.

When Christianity came along, these same questions were raised by the members of the nascent faith. Between Acts 15 and Galatians 2, Paul did his best to settle those questions. However, nevertheless we still find a general awareness of, and probably an adherence to, practices that were considered part of that same "Mosaic Law", among these same early Christians. For example, 1 Thessalonians 5:1, speaking of the "times and seasons", was a direct reference to the Jewish High Holy Days found in Leviticus 23 which were symbolic of the different aspects of God's plan for humanity. And remember, the Thessalonians were Gentiles, not Jews who were still clinging to legalism.

That being the case, there's not the clear-cut demarcation between what was considered Jewish, part of the "old covenant," and "ready to vanish away," and what was considered Christian, that you seem to be indicating. There was most certainly a change...but exactly how much of so-called "apostate Judaism" did that change actually retain?

Did it, for example, retain the belief in the fulfillment of the physical promises to Israel? Did it retain the belief in a literal thousand year Messianic reign? And how do we know for sure?

Once again, I suggest that the best way to understand what this change did and did not retain is to study "the end from the beginning."
Steve wrote:Your suggestion (above) that the Jews rebuilding a future temple might not be an ignorant act shows that you have, in measure, made this “replacement” in your own thinking. The Jews who want to rebuild the temple, just as the Jews who defended the old temple against the Roman invasion, are, by biblical definitions, “antichrist” (1 John 2:22).
So what you're saying is there's absolutely no possibility that the building of a third Temple in Jerusalem could be of God, because the Jews, at this present time, aren't Christian.

Doesn't that line of logic make the implicit assumption that nothing will happen to change that?

Like I had said before, it's the "messenger of the covenant" spoken of in Malachi 3:1 who will decree that the Temple be rebuilt. Granting that this is talking about a physical Temple for the sake of argument, exactly what covenant do you think he'll be a messenger of? The antichrist's?
Steve wrote:The interpretations of Old Testament scripture that the Jews have adopted are the speculations of rabbis who have a veil over their eyes, and the veil is only removed when they turn to Christ (2 Cor.3:14-16). Jews who reject Christ have been “blinded” (Rom.11:7), and do not understand the scriptures. It is significant that Jesus needed to open the disciples’ understanding, “that they might understand the scriptures” (Luke 24:45).
Even Christ Himself did not dismiss the Jews' interpretations wholesale. For instance, there was one famous argument between the disciples of Rabbi Hillel and the disciples of Rabbi Shammai over what the proper grounds for divorce were. Both of them were interpreting the same text about finding some "uncleanness" in the wife (Deut. 24:1). Hillel's disciples claimed that a wife could be divorced for as small an offense as serving an unappetizing meal. Shammai's disciples, on the other hand, asserted that only fornication was proper grounds for divorce.

When Jesus was asked this question in Matthew 19:3-9, He was actually agreeing with the disciples of Shammai!

He did disagree with both of them on one major point, though. They both interpreted Deuteronomy 24:1 as a commandment to divorce if said "uncleanness" was found in the wife. Jesus corrected them, claiming that Moses permitted divorce, rather than commanding it if the "uncleanness" was found.

Steve, I truly believe that you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Not everything the Jews believed was evil, bad or wrong. Sadly, most Christians today tend to see issues like this in black and white. Either Jewish beliefs should be accepted or rejected. There's just no middle ground. I would beg to differ, claiming that proper discernment is what's necessary (Heb. 5:12-14).
Steve wrote:Now concerning Malachi, I understand his message as I do that of the other prophets. ...

[snip]

Christ gave us the correct understanding of Malachi 3 and 4, when He applied both passages to the era which began with John’s preaching in the wilderness (Matthew 11:10, 14; 17:11-12). These statements make it clear that Jesus saw, in John the Baptist, the fulfillment of both Malachi 3:1 and 4:5-6. John’s message heralded the coming of the messianic age, but not merely in the Messiah’s role as savior, but also His role as destroyer of the apostate Jewish order, and thus, the purging of God’s people—His “Levites” (Mal.3:3).
This doesn't make sense, though. The Levites were given a special calling by God for service in the Tabernacle (Ex. 38:21; Num. 1:50-53) and naturally later in the Temple. There is an OT prophecy which talks about Gentiles being taken for priests and for Levites (Isa. 66:18-21), but the sense is different here in Malachi 3. The sense of the text is that the Levites being cleansed in order to offer righteous offerings had formerly been offering polluted offerings to God (compare Mal. 1:6-7, for instance). If these were merely Gentiles who were being called to spiritual Temple service, what polluted offerings had they formerly been offering to God?

If instead this is talking about physical Levites being purified for service at a spiritual Temple, then where in the New Testament do we read that John the Baptist focused his ministry on physical Levites at all?

What I see is that this text can be interpreted piecemeal to refer to John the Baptist heralding Christ's first coming. It was even quoted piecemeal in the New Testament, repeating the parts that directly applied to John the Baptist. (I'm not saying that none of the rest of this passage can apply, though.) However, John the Baptist in no way fulfilled the full sense of Malachi 3-4. So, a multiple fulfillment is therefore necessarily called for.

Does that not make sense?

[snip]
Steve wrote:The messenger of the covenant, who suddenly comes to the temple (Mal.3:1) is best understood as Christ, coming in judgment in AD 70 upon the apostate chaff and fruitless trees in the apostate city.
Why identify Christ as "the messenger of the covenant" in the act of "suddenly coming to His Temple" if the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD had nothing whatsoever to do with any covenantal message? That makes no sense to me.

Just using these specific examples, I think there's sufficient evidence for both a preterist position as well as a futurist one.

Damon
Reason:

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:53 am

Damon wrote: Matthew 19:28 says that when Christ sits on the throne of His glory, the apostles will sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. According to Matthew 25:31, Christ returns to earth and then sits on the throne of His glory, indicating that this throne is on earth.
Well we see this differently. I see this as the "great white throne judgement" when He sits on the throne and judges. I see it this way because this ends with: "And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." (Matt 25:46)
I can only fit this into the final judgement scene.
Damon wrote: That seems a far cry from wiping out the physical creation. And yes, I know what passages you're referring to. Take them and put them in context with Romans 8:19-23. Not only our bodies will be changed from flesh to spirit, as we read in 1 Cor. 15, but the whole creation will be changed from corruptible to incorruptible by fire. The physical creation won't cease to exist, it'll simply cease to be physical.
I see the fire destroying creation at the second comming (2 Thes 1), and then (after judgement) God creating as a kind of second Eden, the new heavens and earth. I see this as physical. The heavenly city that Abraham looked foreward to in Hebrews is this, but once it comes out of heaven in Revelation 21, it will be physical. Although some see this as spiritual too. That's my take.

I also read 1 Cor 15 as Jesus reigning now until all His enemies are under His feet. The last being death, which is defeated at the "rapture" (1 Cor 15:50+) since it says the dead will be raised and we will be changed and death will be swallowed up in victory (at the second comming). Since I read this happening this way, I can't fit anything more in after the second coming (like 1000 year reign followed by another rebellion) and before judgement. So instead I see the Amil view of living in the "thousand years" now, figurative of a long time, followed by a yet future breath of fire coming from heaven to destroy the enemy, which sounds a lot like 2 thes 1 which I take to be the second comming.
Damon wrote: And is the restoration of all things limited to spiritual things? Does it say that in the text? Can it not also refer to physical things, such as the Temple? And how do we know whether or not that's the case?
No, I see Revelation 21-22 as physical. I see this as truly the rest and promised land that God promised, and I see this as physical.
Damon wrote: You asked me "who are 'His people'." I told you by pointing you to Hosea 1-2. Physical Israel is God's people, even though they are presently apostate. He only temporarily calls them "not My people." Paul himself acknowledges this in Romans 11:26 - "all Israel shall be saved." Even though they are presently apostate, they'll repent and return in the future. In the meantime, God's physical promises to them remain irrevocable.
I agree with Steve's interpretation on Romans 11:26 that the mystery is the same mystery in Eph 3, that Gentiles are heirs together with Israel. Paul explains it as Israel is hardened "in part" meaning the non-remant or unbelievers as he stated prior to this in the same section of Romans until the fulness of the Gentiles comes in and so (not then, but so or thus or in this way) all Israel will be saved. Meaning, non-hardened Jews + believing Gentiles = All Israel. As Paul put it, not all Israel is of Israel and God has not cast off His people, those whom he foreknew. He foreknew gentiles too to be predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son.

So when it says they are loved on account of the patriarchs that's true, they are not broken off branches, but true Israel to which the Gentiles have been grafted in.

It's true they may repent and return, but I see that as applying now. As Paul stated he would like to arouse and save some of them. They can be grafted in again, even now IMO.
Damon wrote: Right. So when did the Jews collectively mourn for the one whom they have pierced? Has that happened yet? If not, when will it happen? The context of Zechariah 12:10 has that answer.
I believe this can be seen many ways. I have studied this question before and have yet to reach a conclusion as to this having more than the John fulfillment or a 70AD fulfillment, etc.
Damon wrote: Ah, so THAT'S why we're having a difficulty here! You think I'm making the bible contradict itself. Well, I'm not. Sorry that I gave you that impression. I don't believe there's any contradiction between the division we see between Jew and Gentile in Acts 21:20-25 and in many other OT passages, and passages like Ephesians 2:13-22 where we see no division. The OT passages are talking about responsibilities, whereas passages like Ephesians 2:13-22 are talking about relationships with God.
Well I understand what you are saying much better now, we just disagree with the interpretation.
Damon wrote: God has used both Israel and Judah as servants to minister to the rest of the world (Isa. 43:1-10), and has chosen some of them to be in authority over the rest of the world in the Kingdom (Isa. 2:1-5; Rev. 7:1-8 and 14:1-5). Does that mean that God loves the Gentiles any less? Of course not, because God is no respecter of persons! But that doesn't do away with the special responsibility that Israel has had and will have again in the future.

Damon
I just see it differently. Just as the Jews were God's own in a world of Gentiles, now I see the Church as Jewish and Gentile together as believers, standing against the world of unbelievers. The same type just on a larger scale.
Reason:

Return to “Eschatology”