The Length of the Amillennial Reign

End Times
steve7150

Re: The Length of the Amillennial Reign

Post by steve7150 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:07 pm

The expectation that every tongue above, on, and below the earth will confess that Jesus is Lord is a parallel concept to the idea of Jesus placing all of his enemies under his footstool. Since the footstool imagery has to do with violent subjugation

I have to agree with Paidion in that the english word "confess" in this context is heartfelt IMO and i believe the greek word for "confess" means a voluntary confession. Violent subjugation is something everyone knows God has the power to do, but what would be the point? Also i think it would be contrary to his character to completely humiliate people. Destroying people had a purpose , there was always a reason, this has no reason.

Homer

Post by Homer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:57 pm

Seems to be a fairly common image:

http://www.bible-history.com/past/foots ... ptian.html

I wouldn't think the idea is literal, but symbolic of what will happen when the Lord's enemies are made his footstool. What alternative explanation of the "footstool" is there?

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:22 pm

I wouldn't think the idea is literal, but symbolic of what will happen when the Lord's enemies are made his footstool. What alternative explanation of the "footstool" is there?

Homer

I think the issue is "violent subjugation" and is this the path to confessing Jesus as Lord? If it is then the bible sounds similar to the Quran. God's way has been
to destroy people who were unwilling to repent. Destroying people is one thing but violent subjugation sounds like torture and sounds contrary to many of Jesus teachings.

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:28 pm

I don't see the link between "footstool" and "violent subjugation".

Is there any "violent subjugation"in this passage?

But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. (Matt 5:34,34)

Or this one?

"Heaven is my throne, and earth my footstool. What house will you build for me," says the Lord, "or what is the place of my rest?" (Acts 7:49)
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Eschatology”