Rom. 11:26 Is referring to physical, not spiritual Israel

End Times
_ryanfrombryan

Rom. 11:26 Is referring to physical, not spiritual Israel

Post by _ryanfrombryan » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:39 pm

Steve,

I've discussed with you already your position on Rom 11:26 and I see where you are coming from. However, I noticed an argument someone could bring up given the further context of that verse that it is referring to physical Israel.

In vs. 26 it reads "and so all Israel will be saved."

vs. 27, "As it is written,'The Delivered will come from Zion, He will remove ungodliness from Jacob.' This is my covenant with them, when I take away their sins.'"

Given the flow of these two verse, it seems obvious that the "Jacob" "them" and "their" all refer to the Israel mentioned in verse 26.

Now we look at verse 28:

"From the standpoint of the gospel THEY are enemies for your sake, but from the standpoint of God's choice THEY are beloved for the sake of the Fathers."

The "they" in verse 28 would seem to refer to the "them" and "their" in verse 27. And if the "them" and the "their" refer to the "Israel" of verse 26, it would logically follow that the "Israel" in verse 26 is the one mentioned as those who are currently enemies for our sake in verse 28, namely physical Israel.

I hope that wasn't too laborious and I hope I was clear, but to me it makes since that the subject in verse 28 is the same subject as verse 26 given the flow of the passages. Any comments, especially disagreements, are curiously awaited. Blessing to you all in Christ Jesus our beautiful, glorious, and coming King!

Ryan
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_schoel

Post by _schoel » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:47 pm

Ryan,

You make a good point. It seemed that no one has addressed this insight.
I thought I'd "renew" this to the top to see if anyone has an answer.

Anyone? Bueller? :wink:
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:01 am

This question, and my answer to it, can be found at the following thread: http://www.wvss.com/forumc/viewtopic.php?t=465
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:48 pm

I basically agree with you, Steve, that Paul is speaking of the Israel of God. I am not completely certain that the words "they" have the referent which you subscribe to them.

In any case, I would like to add this observation to the words:

"And so all Israel will be saved" in Romans 11.

In English this looks almost as if Paul had added the sentence as an afterthought. But this is not the case!

Greek lexicons define the word "houtOs" as "thus" or "in this manner".

Paul has just stated that only a remnant of Israel will be saved. All through history the true people of God (within natural Israel) were a remnant. In the days of Jesus, the remnant were His disciples.

Paul then described how some of the Jews (who were not of the remnant) were cut off from the olive tree (the Israel of God) and some gentiles were grafted in. And this is the way in which "all Israel will be saved".

In this manner all Israel will be saved Rom 11:26

If we carefully follow Paul's reasoning up to verse 26, then the meaning of verse 26 becomes clear.

All Israel will be saved because those who are in the Olive tree are what Paul call's "true Jews", the Israel of God.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:00 pm

What is Paul's purpose in discussing how Israel will really be saved? Is there a guarentee in the OT that states Israel will be saved and now Paul needs to demonstrate it's fulfillment? And what is the purpose in saying Spiritual Israel will be saved. After all believers are spiritual Israel so everyone knows they will be saved so why does Paul go into an elaborate discussion to explain something that does'nt need an explanation. Is this the mystery Paul is referring to , explaining the obvious, explaining something that does'nt need an explanation? That does'nt sound like much of a mystery. I thought a mystery was something far from the obvious.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:24 pm

Isaiah 45:17 says, "Israel will be saved by the Lord with an everlasting salvation."

When Paul speaks of his heart's desire that Israel be saved (Romans 9:1-5), he anticipates the question, "But doesn't the scripture promise that Israel will be saved? What has happened to that promise? It doesn't seem to be fulfilled!"

Paul's response is "It is not as if the word of God had failed to come true" (Romans 9:6). He then goes on to explain how not all of the Jews are the true Israel (9:6, 27/ 10:3, 21/ 11:20), that some Gentiles are of the true Israel (9:23ff / 11:17). and there is essentially no significance in being racially a Jew or a Gentile (10:12).

Paidion is correct in pointing out Paul's picture of the olive tree as the means by which "all [true] Israel will be saved."

Not only is this a matter that was not obvious and needed explanation in Paul's day, it clearly is not obvious to everyone today (e.g., dispensationalists), and Paul's explanation is still needed for today's Christians.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_STEVE7150

Post by _STEVE7150 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:41 pm

Thanks Steve, i was'nt aware of Isaiah 45.17 .
Reason:

Return to “Eschatology”