Amillennialism & Reformed theology

End Times
jaydam

Amillennialism & Reformed theology

Post by jaydam » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:55 pm

Am I reading the wrong things, or does it seem that amillennialism seems to be most popular among the reformed? The eschatology seems sound as far as I've studied it out, but I know that I am far from reformed.

I don't get how the reformed seem to be its biggest proponents, unless I'm mistaken and reading the wrong stuff.

Can somebody point me in the "right" direction of some big-name, non-reformed amil teachers?

steve

Re: Amillennialism & Reformed theology

Post by steve » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:40 pm

I think Reformed people are also amillennial because of their Augustinian roots. Calvinism came from Augustine, and amillennialism was "mainstreamed" by Augustine's "City of God." Prior to that, amillennialism and premillennialism (or chiliasm, as it was then called) existed together, and many influential, pre-Augustinian fathers were chiliasts. Augustine's influence impacted Medieval and Reformed theology more than anyone else's.

Denominations that are amillennial are, therefore, often Calvinist. However, some groups are amillennial without being Calvinistic—the Church of God (Anderson, IN) and the Churches of Christ, among them. As for big-name writers who are amil but not Reformed, I don't know if I can name any—not because they don't exist, necessarily, but I seldom read books on amillennialism anymore, and don't know who is out there championing the cause.

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:45 pm

I think your problem here is going to be that Dispensationalism captured non-Reformed evangelicals 100 years ago and it is only now starting to fade. This group might get a shot in the arm with a Dispensationalism/Historicism hybrid that re-embraces Islam as the bad guy since the RCC has become passe.

I know that the Churches of Christ are Amil and non-reformed, but I don't know any of their theologians by name.

Doug

ryan

Post by ryan » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:12 pm

I've enjoyed Jack Cottrell's writings. He's a CoC theologian. I own this book, and would recommend it: http://goo.gl/0t6M22

I've had the pleasure of hearing him teach once in person, at a local Church of Christ.

jaydam

Post by jaydam » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:18 am

Thanks guys, for all the good input.

I'll check out Cottrell.

Return to “Eschatology”