"Beheaded" in Rev 20:4 a reference to Islam?

End Times
TK

"Beheaded" in Rev 20:4 a reference to Islam?

Post by TK » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:24 pm

And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands.
I read something recently where the point was being made that that fact that Rev. 20:4 mentions "beheading" of martyrs that this necessarily points to radical Islam, as beheading is their preferred method of execution, while it was not really a method used by anyone else; even ancient Rome did not really use beheading for Christians in most cases.

So I guess I have a few questions-

In Rev. 20 what nationality is doing the beheading?

I assume the Greek word used really means beheading, but does anyone know for sure?

If beheading was not a common method of execution, why does Rev 20:4 mention it?

Could this be referencing present day radical Islam? Is there any possible reference in scripture to the rise of Islam?

TK

steve

Re: "Beheaded" in Rev 20:4 a reference to Islam?

Post by steve » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:14 am

Depends on what view of Revelation you take. The Historicists have always held that the locusts from the bottomless pit (the fifth trumpet) were the Arab Muslims under Mohammed, and that the horsemen of the sixth trumpet were the Muslim Turks. They saw this as being the downfall of the Eastern Roman Empire at Constantinople.

Futurists will keep changing their identifications to fit current events. Two-hundred years from now, there might no longer be a radical Muslim threat, and some other identification will be suggested (if there are still futurists at that time). Nothing in Revelation identifies them as Muslims.

Preterism sees this as a reference to the Roman practice of beheading certain prisoners, and sees it as a form of first-century martyrdoms (like Paul's—who was beheaded, according to tradition). The first apostle to die a martyr was James, who was beheaded by Rome (Acts 12).

Idealists simply see this as a reference to martyrdom through the ages of the church, from the first coming to the second coming of Christ.

Beheading would be seen as a reference to martyrdom, in general, represented by reference to one common type—just as business boycotting is given (Revelation 13:17) to signify general persecution, by reference to one common form of it.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:24 am

I read something recently where the point was being made that that fact that Rev. 20:4 mentions "beheading" of martyrs that this necessarily points to radical Islam, as beheading is their preferred method of execution, while it was not really a method used by anyone else; even ancient Rome did not really use beheading for Christians in most cases.

Sure it can, why would it be so hard to believe? Everyone thinks Revelation has to be only one particular system or the other and they land in a particular camp and don't consider anything else. There is evidence for several systems so why can't more then one be true? Can God manage that?
If you are interested check out Joelstrumpet.com as he believes Islam does play a major role in the endtimes and as far as i know he has not changed his position based on current events. Also Walid Shoebat has always had this viewpoint. Joel Richardson believes the Ottoman Empire is the 4th beast in Daniel 7 & 8 as it has more of the characteristics of a destroyer then the Roman Empire. He and Walid believe Turkey will rise again to be the leader of the Islamic world which may have just begun now. Joel also believes Iran will destroy Saudi Arabia since Iran believes SA is the whore of Rev 17!

Paidion

Post by Paidion » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:56 pm

It is easy to ascribe Biblical prophetic descriptions to people and events of one's own day. I recall, as a kid, reading what seemed a very convincing argument that Hitler was the Antichrist. There always seems to be someone doing this sort of thing ever since apostolic times. Long ago, I quit putting any stock in this continuing series of "prophecies" connecting current events and personages with Biblical prophecy. And regardless of what some may think, being a historic premillenialist in no way predisposes me to do so.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:24 am

I think the problem that the Historicists would have is that they moved on to events in Europe such as the French Revolution for the Bowl judgements, which would be the last judgments in the sequence. This would eclipse the Islamic narrative.

Return to “Eschatology”