Ezekiel 36:10, 36:24

End Times
thrombomodulin

Ezekiel 36:10, 36:24

Post by thrombomodulin » Sun May 21, 2017 7:23 am

The description "all the house of Israel" implies that this prophecy applies not only to Judah and Benjamin, which were captured by Babylon, but also to the other 10 tribes conquered by the Assyrians. Is it correct to understand the "whole house of Israel" as a reference to all twelve tribes? If so, I am wondering if it is necessary to affirm that this prophecy has not yet been fulfilled as 10 tribes never returned to the land.

I understand Ezekiel 36:25-27 to be about the New Covenant, but is it likewise valid to consider these verses as also having their fulfillment in the inheritance believers receive in the New Covenant (the anti-type of the land promise)? For the gospel brings in men from all nations - some of whom may have been descendants from the 10 tribes of the Northern kingdom.

Thanks
Pete

dwilkins

Re: Ezekiel 36:10, 36:24

Post by dwilkins » Sun May 21, 2017 2:03 pm

It seems proper to me that this was fulfilled in the New Covenant, and that just like all of the similar statements it has a spiritual fulfillment.

But, if you were to make it a literal land promise, then it clearly says that the 10 scattered tribes are entitled to come back to the land at the fulfillment of the prophecy (again, I think this entire line of interpretation is flawed). If the current state of Israel is the regathering of the scattered southern kingdom, and that those who regathered don't have to be religiously observant Jews to be entitled to the land, then why wouldn't Muslim Persians descendant from the 10 tribes be entitled to immigrate to Israel as a fulfillment of the same prophecy?

Doug

thrombomodulin

Post by thrombomodulin » Sun May 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Doug,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with the type / antitype model for the land promises given to Abraham. This particular promise, at least in so far as the 10 tribes are concerned, lacks any literal fulfillment as a "type" - here the only fulfillment is in the new covenant as the antitype. I have been assuming that is unacceptable to take the position that OT prophecies do not require any literal fulfillment as a type - maybe this is a wrong assumption.

Since the new covenant has come and the old no longer remains, it seems difficult to see any future literal fulfillment (e.g. Muslim Persians) as possible. The unfaithful have no right to claim the promises of God, so I think the only possible future fulfillment would be religiously observant Persians (Christians) who are descended from the 10 tribes moving to the land of Israel. This would require affirmation of the idea proposed by dispensationalists that the type can exist after than antitype has already come. I have no idea how anyone could trace their ancestry that far back to know if they descended form the ten tribes. Maybe God alone knows who does or does not descend from those tribes.

Pete

dwilkins

Post by dwilkins » Sun May 21, 2017 3:19 pm

There is no reliable way to trace ancestry to the southern tribes, so I'd suggest that the dispensationalists drop the whole thing.

Doug

Return to “Eschatology”