st. Michael and the dragon

Angels & Demons
glow

st. Michael and the dragon

Post by glow » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:52 pm

I have seen references to this person st. michael slaying the dragon in statues and paintings for years.
Who is he and what is this about? I don't find it in the bible.What am I missing? Thanks

steve

Re: st. Michael and the dragon

Post by steve » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:25 pm

So-called "Saint Michael" is a reference to the archangel Michael. In the the Old Testament apocryphal books, and in the book of Jude, he is seen as contending with Satan over the body of Moses (Jude 9). In Revelation 12, he is seen leading angelic armies in the defeat of Satan (depicted as a dragon) and the evil angels. This is no doubt where the image of Michael and the dragon originated.

However, "Saint (archangel) Michael" and "Saint George" are both associated with dragons, and became the "patron saints" of chivalry in Catholic hagiography (the history of the lives of the saints). Saint George apparently lived in the late third century, and was a Christian knight under Diocletian. There is a legend about him slaying a dragon and rescuing a pagan princess in the process, leading to the conversion of the pagans.

glow

Re: st. Michael and the dragon

Post by glow » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:33 pm

Thanks Steve for clearing that up for me.

I have come across Catholics that have talked to me regarding st .Michael and st.George and even though I think of Michael in respect as a major angel, I did not see him as a saint.I did not know where George came from.

So I have wondered if there were two? different men or angels when I have seen this in the art world.

Gee, now that i found this site again, I hope I don't wear anyone out with basic questions....lol

Return to “Angelology & Demonology”