Power Evangelism

Angels & Demons
_Les Wright

Power Evangelism

Post by _Les Wright » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:42 pm

Hi Steve and other folks,

I wasn't sure where to post this question, but what do people think about Wimber's Power Evangelism? I never read the book (yet).. I think I picked it up once, but saw stuff in it that I didn't agree with, so I just put it back down. Any comments?

Thanks.
in Him,
Les
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:30 pm

I have owned this book for years, but never read it. When it first came out, I heard John Wimber and other Vineyard people discuss it, so I felt that I understood its thesis. I believe that Wimber's point is that we must see our evangelistic efforts in the light of the supernatural warfare over the souls of men between the kingdom of God and the powers of darkness. In the New Testament, the evangelists and apostles encountered demonic resistance--sometimes in the form of sorcerers, fortune tellers and other supernatural manifestations that kept the pagans deceived.

It was essential that the gospel also be confirmed by accompanying signs, in order to show its superiority over the demonic religions. Thus, confrontations of the gospel with the pagan world were often "power encounters" where miraculous healings and exorcisms demonstrated that the missionaries had a greater power standing behind their message than did the sorcerers, shamans and pagan priests. This is commonly seen in the Book of Acts, as well as in much of modern missions history.

Wimber advocated some views that I do not agree with (e.g., that healing of physical sickness is a provision of the atonement), but his basic thesis about power encounters seems valid, if it is applied to pioneer missionary activity or other evangelistic efforts which regularly encounter resistance from occultists. I cannot say to what degree this kind of power encounter may be normative in the evangelization of rationalistic or naturalistic western culture.

We certainly are battling demonic resistance in this part of the world today, but it may be a resistance more in the form of delusive philosophies than of demonic miraculous manifestations. However, in the event of meeting a demon possessed person or the manifestation of occult powers, I would be inclined to look for the same miraculous confirmation of the gospel message today as that which the apostles demonstrated.

I think though, that signs and wonders were not worked by every believer, even in the New Testament times. I think Wimber disagreed with me on this point. We read that the working of signs and wonders, in the New Testament, was something that distinguished the apostles (Acts 2:43/ 2 Cor.12:12) and the evangelists (Acts 6:8/ 8:5-7) in their calling.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Les Wright

Post by _Les Wright » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:12 pm

Hi Steve,

I'm 'resurrecting' this thread because this book is currently being studied at our church leadership meetings. I'm not in any formal leadership role, but many of the core are involved.

Anyhow.. I haven't made it through the entire book yet, but have pretty much agreed with what I've read so far.

Has any body else read it?

Tx
Les
Reason:

_Les Wright

Post by _Les Wright » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:26 pm

Hi Steve et al,

Seems that I'm a lone poster in my thread.. ah well..

I have finished reading the book and am really encouraged by it. It seems that Wimber was distancing himself from 'Word of Faith' in his book and he also mentioned that not all people get healed.

I wasn't sure if this jived with his 'final' views before his death, or even the 'Power Healing' book that he has written, since most of the leadership at my Vineyard believe in healing in the atonement.

I asked one of the leaders at my church and lo and behold he said that Wimber did not believe in healing in the atonement. He also said that Gary Best, the current Cdn head leader, doesn't either.

The leader at my church explained that he (himself) believes in a complementary kingdom (i.e. Wimber/Vineyard theology) and covenant theology (i.e. healing in the atonement).

This has been confusing for me, because I think of covenant theology as 'fulfillment' theology, but this is something very different, of which I am not well aquainted in doctrine, but do encouter in pretty much all of the leadership in my church.

Its kind of like a toned down 'Word of Faith' it seems. I will do a search on it, but if anybody has any info, I wouldn't mind reading it.

My views are very close to the Vineyards, but I don't really go for the Covenant stuff that my church leaders teach.

ANyhow... I thought I'd post this since many of my posts have related to 'healing in the atonement' and 'Vineyard' type issues, I wanted to clarify for anybody who has been following my 'issues'.

Tx
Les
Reason:

Return to “Angelology & Demonology”