Tranference of Spirits

Angels & Demons
_Anonymous

Tranference of Spirits

Post by _Anonymous » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:51 pm

Hello,

This is my first post, and I hope to post more.

My first question is, we have a new pastor at out church that keeps mentioning Transference of Spirits. It is in the context of the laying of of hands in praying for one another. He only wants elder types to lay hands on people and pray for them because if any one else does then they may be the transfer of evil spirits. I have heard of this teaching in passing but have never looked into it. Is there any Biblical support for such a thing a the Transfer of Spirits like he is talking about? Should we realy be wary of letting anyone pray from someone else. I personally have never worried about who may be praying for me as long as they loved Jesus then that was fine for me, they could even lay there hands on me if they wished.

Thanks,
Shel
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Sean

Re: Tranference of Spirits

Post by _Sean » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:17 am

Shel wrote:Hello,

This is my first post, and I hope to post more.

My first question is, we have a new pastor at out church that keeps mentioning Transference of Spirits. It is in the context of the laying of of hands in praying for one another. He only wants elder types to lay hands on people and pray for them because if any one else does then they may be the transfer of evil spirits. I have heard of this teaching in passing but have never looked into it. Is there any Biblical support for such a thing a the Transfer of Spirits like he is talking about? Should we realy be wary of letting anyone pray from someone else. I personally have never worried about who may be praying for me as long as they loved Jesus then that was fine for me, they could even lay there hands on me if they wished.

Thanks,
Shel
I don't think that non-physical spirits need us to transfer them around, they seem to move about quite well on their own.

It sounds like superstition to me.

I hope someone else can give you a more detailed answer.
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Anonymous

Transference of Spirits

Post by _Anonymous » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:13 pm

Well, this is also my first post, so we will see where this goes.
Keep in mind you are in an area where there is much debate, little written information, and much speculation that may be based on experience. Just to give some of my background, I came from a straight, non-emotional, head-filled non-denominational protestant background. I was called into prayer ministry about ten years ago (where I can't do things in my own strength). I am now, shall we say, a bit more charismatic in the use of God's gifts. I've been trained and am involved in a few prayer ministries out there - whether casting the bad guys out or asking Jesus in. Either way, God rules.

Unfortunately, when you mention only the elders praying for people, that makes me cringe. From my experences with elders and a few churches, most of them couldn't pray themselves out of a paper bag. They may be gifted in other areas. I'd rather go to mature people that I personally know, especially those in a prayer ministry. Before I go up to be available for prayer, I make sure that my hands and hearts are clean toward God. Hurt people hurt people. Healed people heal people.

Next thought - I read some years ago in a Chirstian magazine that someone who was prayed for developed a craving for cigarettes, even though he did not smoke. The person who prayed for them did. Maybe that's where your pastor got his idea. There again, I wouldn't say that there's a smoking demon hiding behind every cigarette.

Now, I would give more creedence to the following scenarios: 1 - I've heard in a class of an unclean spirit transferring from one person to another via a telephone call (bear with me here!), when the person is gossiping about another. Now, does it matter whether the same spirit is being transferred, or another one finding a foothold in the life of the person receiving the call and developing a hatred toward a third person?

2 - In a ministry (or counseling) session, I would not let a counselee proceed with giving any details of a sexual defeat. Why? Because in theory I could later fantasize the sitaution and allow a seductive spirit to "whisper in my ear" as it were, and to let my mind go where it shouldn't.

What's the difference between the smoker and the other two examples? Belief and willful choice. I believe that demons by themselves have no power and cannot supersede our free will. They were defeated at the cross and the only weapon they have is deception. At some level (even with satanic ritual abuse victims), we allow them in. They'll readily offer an escape or solution to our pain. It's all about belief and choice. In my two examples, I can choose to "go there", where I shouldn't.

I hope this helps. There is so much to say on this topic.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:38 pm

I appreciate both of the above replies. I have little to add other than that there is nothing in scripture warning about the danger of spirits transferring from one person to another by physical touch or by prayer. I suspect it is a superstition, though I do not profess to know for certain very much about the demonic realm beyond the teaching of scripture.

It seems that, if such danger existed, Jesus or the apostles would have warned the saints about such things. If it is true, we would always have to be paranoid that someone in a crowd might touch us without our knowledge or consent, thus transferring a demon to us. It hardly seems that this is the way that God would have us to live our lives.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

Return to “Angelology & Demonology”