A different translation of Luke 11:13

Paidion

A different translation of Luke 11:13

Post by Paidion » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:31 pm

If then you evil ones know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father out of heaven give a holy spirit to those who ask Him?

Could this refer to our desire to have no longer a selfish spirit, or an unkind spirit, but rather a holy spirit? So we ask our heavenly Father for such a spirit?

In Greek, the article does not occur before the words "holy spirit", and so the above translation is possible. Yet, in some contexts where "holy spirit" occurs without the article, the words do seem to refer to the Holy Spirit, and so it cannot be concluded that the verse quoted above must not be translated as "the Holy Spirit".

What do you think?
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Michelle

Re: A different translation of Luke 11:13

Post by Michelle » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:31 pm

Paidion wrote:If then you evil ones know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the Father out of heaven give a holy spirit to those who ask Him?

Could this refer to our desire to have no longer a selfish spirit, or an unkind spirit, but rather a holy spirit? So we ask our heavenly Father for such a spirit?

In Greek, the article does not occur before the words "holy spirit", and so the above translation is possible. Yet, in some contexts where "holy spirit" occurs without the article, the words do seem to refer to the Holy Spirit, and so it cannot be concluded that the verse quoted above must not be translated as "the Holy Spirit".

What do you think?
I think that it could be possible that it means 'a holy spirit' rather than "The Holy Spirit." What, to you, would 'a holy spirit' mean? How would you know if you had one?

Paidion

Re: A different translation of Luke 11:13

Post by Paidion » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:51 pm

How would you know if you had one?
Well, how would you know if you had a mean, selfish spirit? You'd be mean-spirited and selfish.
If on the other hand, you had a holy type of spirit, you would probably not notice it yourself since you'd also be humble-spirited, but others would notice.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “General Bible Discussion”