Steve Gregg Bible Commentary

steve

Re: Steve Gregg Bible Commentary

Post by steve » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:04 pm

I appreciate what you guys are doing, and I know how much work it is! The difference between my spoken "sentences" and anything actually printable is much greater than I would have imagined, before I actually tried to edit some transcripts that someone did of a few of my lectures. Having said that, I really am encouraged to see some of these series being reduced to text. The Authority series and the Kingdom series are particularly good choices for a beginning. In the former, particularly (Perry), there are lots of quotations. Instead of typing those out, you can just lift them from my notes, if you wish. I can send them to you. the same goes for any longer quotes in the Kingdom series, Jarrod (actually, all the quotes for the Kingdom series can be found in the Powerpoint slides for that series, found at http://digitalministries.us/page9.html ).

Perry

Post by Perry » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:28 am

Yes Steve please! Anything you have would be great.

It is my plan to, eventually, go back over all this material and edit it into a form that is more suitable for the written word. I think that will require some shuffling around of order, condensing, and even dropping an illustration or two. That's the part that will actually be more fun!

One (of the several) reasons that I wanted to capture a more verbatim version of your talks is so that people could more easily compare my edited version with what you actually said.

Perry

Post by Perry » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:30 am

Darrin,
I just discovered this link in the wiki. Is there an index somewhere of every article on the wiki? I stumbled on that one when I hit the "random page" link by mistake.

thrombomodulin

Post by thrombomodulin » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:46 am

(1) I wrote for the old forum a tool which would scan the HTML pages and search for scripture references by pattern matching. The output was just a sorted table of scripture references with links back to where the reference was made. Per the OP, I think it would be good to try to implement this for the new forum and the wiki. I think this would be implemented server side via SQL queries, as opposed to trying to parse the HTML by reading each page.

(2) Can you please add me to this list to be able to edit pages on the wiki?

Perry

Post by Perry » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:11 pm

Perry wrote:Is there an index somewhere of every article on the wiki?
Found it! It's under toolbox, special pages, all pages. Here's the link.

Perry

Post by Perry » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:18 pm

Jarrod,
I just wanted to give you a heads up that I'm going to create an orphaned page on the wiki. I'm doing this as a workplace for some of the more serious editing I'm doing. Once I feel it's more ready for public critique, I'll create a link for it.

Sharon

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:07 pm

Jarrod,
When you get the chance, can you give me, Perry's wife, authority to edit the wiki?

Thanks,
Sharon

jarrod

Post by jarrod » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:03 am

Sorry all... I was out of town and had some medical stuff to deal with.

thrombomodulin and sharon ... you two should be ready to go on the wiki! I have also enlisted my wife to help me with the Kingdom of God transcriptions :)

Perry, you are the man! I am impressed with the work you are doing. You are setting the pace for the rest of us!

Jarrod

Perry

Post by Perry » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:49 pm

jarrod wrote:... had some medical stuff to deal with.
Uh oh! Hope all is will with you and yours.
jarrod wrote:Perry, you are the man! I am impressed
It's not that impressive. Right now I happen to have a bit of extra time on my hands, and this seems to be one way to put them to good use. For the main transcripts, I'm just blasting it out there. I hope other people will feel free to clean up the many mistakes.

I've begun work on the more serious editing as well. That's where the real fun is anyway. I've never done this much writing before, nor have I examined it so critically. It's amazing how you can keep going back over and making things tighter and tighter.

Perry

Post by Perry » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:59 pm

steve wrote:The Authority series and the Kingdom series are particularly good choices for a beginning. In the former, particularly (Perry), there are lots of quotations. Instead of typing those out, you can just lift them from my notes, if you wish. I can send them to you.
Steve,
Now might be a good time for those. I just typed up the following bit of the lecture four.
Steve in Authority of Scripture Lecture 4 wrote:Now to a certain extent, I'm going to read the notes. I wrote the notes off the top of my head. I could lecture off the top of my head, but I'm going to read the notes for the simple reason that I've given you more extensive notes than I will for most lectures, because there's so much detail I didn't expect you could write these things down at the rate I would speak them. But once I've written them down, it makes more sense to read them than to try and paraphrase them than have you try to follow in your notes and I'm saying some different words or whatever. Might as well just go through what the notes say, with additional commentary.
:D

Return to “General Bible Discussion”