Amos 8:11-12 Famine of hearing the Word

verbatim

Amos 8:11-12 Famine of hearing the Word

Post by verbatim » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:53 pm

Amo 8:11 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord GOD, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the LORD:
Amo 8:12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.
Our topic is about famine not of bread and thirst of water but in hearing the words of the Lord.

We know that faith comes from hearing, Romans 10:17-19 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world. But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you.

Jesus never said he was the Word of God, but He preaches the Word of God. Jesus ate the flesh which is the word. He did not eat his own human flesh. He said that it is the spirit that quickened, flesh profits nothing. John 6:63.

This turn my mind to concentrate to John 1:1 Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. (other Bible commentaries interpreted the last phrase ”and the Word was God” and the Word was Divine.) which was confirmed in Luke 4:34 Holy One of God.

The Word being Divine and Holy is very substantial in our faith for by this Word we shall be Sanctify John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. Jesus says " I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

A true Christian, therefore, was a Spiritual believer who was an initiate into the doctrine of the indwelling Logos/Christ John 1:14 and were those whose minds were enlightened to the degree where they were able to understand the inner meaning of the “Word” John 1:1
The problem is that we fail to understand these spiritual terms because we view life and the scriptures with a quasi-Darwinist mindset -- i.e., three-dimensionally. Christians, therefore, fail to comprehend the very essence of the word they use to describe themselves, because they are unaware of the realms beyond the three dimensions of a man.
They are for the most part unaware of their pre-existent soul and spirit, and they therefore relate the word Christ to an historical person -- i.e., Jesus. Further, because Christians have such a limited understanding of the meaning of the word Christ, it is therefore impossible for modern believers to perceive the manner in which God reveals Himself to people the world over.

John1:1 is very hard to understand and this verse were not being discuss deeply because almost all preacher of the church does not also clear about this topic. WHY ? this is what the Scripture says;
Jeremiah 2:8 The priests said not, Where is the LORD? and they that handle the law knew me not: the pastors also transgressed against me, and the prophets prophesied by Baal, and walked after things that do not profit.

What are your thoughts?
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! Isaiah 52:7

verbatim

Re: Amos 8:11-12 Famine of hearing the Word

Post by verbatim » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:47 pm

In Christianity, rhema is used in Bible study to signify Jesus Christ's utterance. The Greek word rhema is useful to distinguish between two meanings of word. While both rhema and logos are translated into the English word, in the original Greek there was a substantial distinction. Rhema is Christ's utterance, while Logos refers to Christ himself.

The Septuagint translation of the Hebrew Bible into Greek uses the terms Rhema and Logos as equivalents and uses both for the Hebrew word Dabar, as the Word of God. Some modern usage distinguishes Rhema from Logos in Christian Theology, with Rhema at times called "a word from the Word, referring to the revelation received by the reader from the Holy Spirit when the Word (Logos) is read. In this usage, "Logos" refers to Christ.
In this modern usage, Logos is the "Word of God" Jesus Christ, the subject from Genesis to Revelation. Rhema is the revealed word of God, as an utterance from God to the heart of the reader via the Holy Spirit, as in John 14:26
"... the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."
In this usage Rhema refers to "a word that is spoken", when the Holy Spirit delivers a message to the heart as in Romans 10:17
"Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ. (rhematos Christou)"
and in the Matthew 4:4:
"Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word (rhema) that comes from the mouth of God"

The word kadosh ("holy") applied to God means metaphysical transcendence, while the word kavod ("glory") refers to the indwelling experienced presence of God. Thus the hymn, "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord of Hosts, the whole world is full of His glory" (Isa. 6:3), expresses the paradoxical nature of God's utter transcendence coupled with His constant immanence. God is beyond the world, far removed from it ontologically and conceptually (Ps. 97:9), yet He is very much the ground of all being (Ex. 3:12-15), the "soul of our soul," accessible to man at all times (Ps. 145:18). He is God who reveals Himself to man, yet often appears to be a "hidden God" (Isa. 45:15). Sources: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhema

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. All men have soul which indwelt in him and it is the Logos which incarnated and dwelt among us as John The Baptist testified in John 1:26 as “stand among you, whom you do not know”.‘He’ was the one who speak in Matthew 25:35-36 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Consequently if our physical body needs water and food to retain health and fuel our energy, our soul must also be provided with spiritual food such as what Jesus preaches in John 6:50-58.
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! Isaiah 52:7

parsonsmom

Re: Amos 8:11-12 Famine of hearing the Word

Post by parsonsmom » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:28 am

verbatim wrote:In Christianity, rhema is used in Bible study to signify Jesus Christ's utterance. The Greek word rhema is useful to distinguish between two meanings of word. While both rhema and logos are translated into the English word, in the original Greek there was a substantial distinction. Rhema is Christ's utterance, while Logos refers to Christ himself.

The Septuagint translation of the Hebrew Bible into Greek uses the terms Rhema and Logos as equivalents and uses both for the Hebrew word Dabar, as the Word of God. Some modern usage distinguishes Rhema from Logos in Christian Theology, with Rhema at times called "a word from the Word, referring to the revelation received by the reader from the Holy Spirit when the Word (Logos) is read. In this usage, "Logos" refers to Christ.
In this modern usage, Logos is the "Word of God" Jesus Christ, the subject from Genesis to Revelation. Rhema is the revealed word of God, as an utterance from God to the heart of the reader via the Holy Spirit, as in John 14:26
"... the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."
In this usage Rhema refers to "a word that is spoken", when the Holy Spirit delivers a message to the heart as in Romans 10:17
"Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ. (rhematos Christou)"
and in the Matthew 4:4:
"Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word (rhema) that comes from the mouth of God"

The word kadosh ("holy") applied to God means metaphysical transcendence, while the word kavod ("glory") refers to the indwelling experienced presence of God. Thus the hymn, "Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord of Hosts, the whole world is full of His glory" (Isa. 6:3), expresses the paradoxical nature of God's utter transcendence coupled with His constant immanence. God is beyond the world, far removed from it ontologically and conceptually (Ps. 97:9), yet He is very much the ground of all being (Ex. 3:12-15), the "soul of our soul," accessible to man at all times (Ps. 145:18). He is God who reveals Himself to man, yet often appears to be a "hidden God" (Isa. 45:15). Sources: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhema

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. All men have soul which indwelt in him and it is the Logos which incarnated and dwelt among us as John The Baptist testified in John 1:26 as “stand among you, whom you do not know”.‘He’ was the one who speak in Matthew 25:35-36 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Consequently if our physical body needs water and food to retain health and fuel our energy, our soul must also be provided with spiritual food such as what Jesus preaches in John 6:50-58.

=================================================================================================
John 4
6For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

8So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.

9But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

10And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

11But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

12Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.

13For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Romans8:
The mind of the flesh; which is sense and reason without the Holy Spirit is death; death that
all the miseries arising from sin; both here and hereafter; But the mind of the Holy Spirit;
that dewells within us after we are bornagin; is life and soul; peace both now and forever;
That is because the mind of the flesh; with its carnal thoughts and purposes; is hostile to God; for it does not submit itself to God's Law; indeed it cannot; So then those who are living the life of the flesh; catering to the appetites and impulses of their carnal nature; cannot please or satisfy God, or be acceptable to Him. But you are not living the life of the flesh; you are living the life of the Spirit; if the Holy Spirit of God; really dwells within you; directs and controls you

Return to “General Bible Discussion”