The Old Covenant (and Scripture)

JacobMartinMertens

Re: The Old Covenant (and Scripture)

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:20 pm

dizerner wrote:
JacobMartinMertens wrote:
dizerner wrote: Exactly. As we put our faith that we are in him the law of the Spirit of Life sets us from the law of Sin into Death.
It says the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus. And it says the law of sin and of death.

The two most basic options I have for what the law of sin and of death are is that it is either that the soul that sins shall die and Adam and Eve reaped the consequence of death to the sin they committed, or that it is the Law which prescribed the death penalty for those who break it.

To be sure, the Law is about love of God and love of our neighbor. So when I see that the wages of sin is death and that sin can be committed against ones own body that has lasting effects, I believe it is likely the first of these options that makes the most sense. Reading in context it is possible that I am wrong.

You are looking at Romans chapter 8, and I would focus on verses 1 through 4. I read the NASB.
Well it's either you fulfill the law or Jesus does, I guess you'll have to take your pick.
Of course Jesus fulfilled the Law.

If you are saying I should not observe or fulfill it would you say the alternative is to transgress it?

Jesus is the only one ever to perfectly fulfill the Law. He never sinned. Just because I have sinned in my life does not mean I should sin now.
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:16 am

I guess the question then becomes, is Jesus Christ living in you? and through you?

Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Rom 6:15

Or did..

...the law of the Spirit of life set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death... Rom 8:2

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:48 am

dizerner wrote:I guess the question then becomes, is Jesus Christ living in you? and through you?

Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Rom 6:15

Or did..

...the law of the Spirit of life set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death... Rom 8:2
Galatians 2:20 NASB - 20 "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

2 Corinthians 5:15 NASB - 15 and He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf.
John 1:41, 49 NASB - 41 He found first his own brother Simon and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which translated means Christ). 49 - Nathanael answered Him, "Rabbi, You are the Son of God; You are the King of Israel."

dizerner

Post by dizerner » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:29 pm

Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind

JacobMartinMertens

Post by JacobMartinMertens » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:23 am

dizerner wrote:Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind
so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

Return to “General Bible Discussion”