Thoughts on Robin...

Right & Wrong
nancyer

Thoughts on Robin...

Post by nancyer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:58 pm

I want to say that I am truly heartbroken and profoundly sad over the death of Robin Williams. I have been a huge admirer of his forever-since Mork & Mindy through most of his movies, (Awakenings was my favorite) his stand-ups and specials. The man was a genius and I don't use that term lightly. Being a genius isn't all it's cracked up to be. I heard him say once he couldn't turn it off, the funny voices in his head. And then, the voices weren't always funny.

I am posting here because in numerous interviews Robin spoke of a "loving God" whom he looked up to. He used the term "that's what life's all about, family and a loving God." The depression that over took him must have been beyond comprehension and all the money, fame and awards in the world couldn't have eased the pain.

Please pray for his family but, more than that, I pray that his passing helps shed more light on depression, it's causes and treatments and that we begin to truly reach out and help. I know this is easier said than done. It's so much more than just saying "Are you ok? Anything I can do?" But that would be a start, I guess.

Anyway, just wanted to get this off my chest. I loved Robin Williams and am very sad for his family and friends. May God's peace be with them.

dizerner

Re: Thoughts on Robin...

Post by dizerner » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:21 pm

[user account removed]
Last edited by dizerner on Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:27 pm

Thank you for writing this. It is sobering for a lot of folks - like someone's deathly pain has been their entertainment is a hard one to face, if we will face it.

My favorite is the Kingfisher. Perhaps because he played someone so much like himself in that - a man who was out of this world nuts, but very caring - but nuts because he'd been traumatized by seeing his wife murdered right before his eyes we find out later in the movie.

So what did he think in real life - that it would be easy for the folks who found him hanged? But I understand they convince themselves that they are doing their loved ones a favor. Some demonic assistance there, huh?

A friend of mine found her close friend hanged and it totally traumatized her ---
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:02 pm

Jepne -

I don't understand suicide either, it is far worse than loosing someone any other way. I had to deal with this when I was in high school-a boy I'd dated off and on (we always stayed friends in between) took his life. No one could believe it. We were in utter shock, never saw it coming. But to give you a glimpse of what he was going through, there were two funerals because his mom wouldn't go to the one his dad was at. Says a lot doesn't it?

I'm still heartsick over Robin. To think he was so loved and he still couldn't find joy enough to get through it. Tragic. I pray that this saves other lives - that it opens people's eyes either to their own situation or to someone they love. I also pray that Robin is finally at peace and can accept the love that should have saved him.

Next Tuesday our morning Scripture Encounter Bible Study group is doing The Wired Word study on Robin Williams. I don't know what take the WW will have on this yet, but you can google thewiredword.com and find the study. Let me know if you do, may be worth a discussion here.

God bless.

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:08 pm

dizerner wrote:Mrs. Doubtfire was a pretty messed up movie, which my Dad (now deceased) forced me to see in theaters, but he seemed to be an intelligent and intense person. Hopefully he will be a testament that you can have everything a person could want in life, but still not have the true life worth living for in Christ.
Please explain why you think Mrs. Doubtfire was messed up movie. I loved it, thought it was hilarious. Still do. And underneath it all was simply the love of a father for his children. So deep he went to such exaggerated lengths to be with them. And remember the beginning? He wouldn't do the voice over for a cartoon that had a character smoking a giant cigarette because it wasn't appropriate. He had morals, conviction, love and dedication. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it.

Jepne

Post by Jepne » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Do you mean that the Doubtfire character ''had morals, conviction, love and dedication'' ? Someone directed me to a clip on youtube - the title had the word 'broadway' or 'bible' in it and it was over the top awful - he was out of control.

I did not see Doubtfire....

I went to the wiredword Bible study but there was nothing about Robin Wms there. Maybe you could copy and paste a little or tell us about it.
"Anything you think you know about God that you can't find in the person of Jesus, you have reason to question.” - anonymous

nancyer

Post by nancyer » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:44 pm

Yeah, he did. I mean, the part about the cartoon character and smoking was Robin Williams character Daniel before he becomes Mrs. Doubtfire. As a dad he wouldn't do that voice over job.

I didn't realize but I think you have to subscribe to The Wired Word to get the weekly topics. When I go to their website on our church computer to print them out it goes direcrly to the current lesson/study. Right now I'm on my sons's computer and I can't get to the study either. So sorry. I will post some of what our group comes up with. If you'd really like a copy, I could email it to you. Pm me if you want it.

Return to “Ethics”