Baptised in whose name?

Right & Wrong
_Benjamin Ho

Baptised in whose name?

Post by _Benjamin Ho » Sun Apr 11, 2004 6:57 am

Recently I came across this teaching that Christians should be baptised in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:38, 10:48, 19:5) and NOT in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit (Matt 28:19). The argument goes that we must be baptised using a proper name and not descriptive words.

Personally, I don't think there is any difference whether a person chooses to say during baptism "the name of Father, Son and Holy Spirit" or "the name of the Lord Jesus". I regard them as synonymous.

In case I am missing something, have you heard of this teaching and what do you think about it?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
Grace and peace,
Benjamin Ho

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:25 pm

Hi Benjamin,

I am of the same opinion as yourself about this. The "United Pentecostal Church" holds to the so-called "Oneness" doctrine of the godhead, which is not trinitarian. They are sometimes called "Jesus-only's" because they believe that Jesus is the only person of the godhead, that is, He is one of three manifestations of the same person, rather than one person of three.

A corrolary of this conviction is their emphasis upon the need for everyone to be baptized only in the name of Jesus (and not "in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"). They say that if you have been baptized with the wrong "formula" it doesn't count. It has to be in the name of Jesus, or you are not saved. They also believe that you must be baptized in the Spirit and speak with tongues to be saved, which even most other Pentecostals do not insist upon.

It is true that every baptism in the book of Acts seems to have been done "in the name of Jesus." This was the apostolic practice. On the other hand, Jesus instructed the disciples to baptize "in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" (Matthew 28:19).

We are left with two possible options: 1) the apostles disobeyed Christ's instructions, or 2) they understood the two formulas to be equivalent (the "name" is singular in Matthew 28:19). They apparently understood "the name" of the Father, of Son and of Holy Spirit to be the name "Jesus." After all, Colossians 2:9 says that "all the fulness of the godhead dwelt in Him bodily."

It would appear that the Oneness Pentecostals are following the apostolic practice, but that doesn't mean that the apostles would share their opinion that:
1) there is only one Person in the godhead,
2) one must be baptized using the exact proper utterance to be saved,
3) one must be baptized in the Spirit and speak with tongues to be saved,
4) the formula Jesus gave in Matthew 28:19 isn't just as good as the name of Jesus—the two being equivalent.

In other words, the Oneness Pentecostals are onto something that is true when it comes to apostolic baptismal practices (however, I have found that the "Didache," a Christian work from the late first century purporting to preserve the teachings of the apostles, recommends the formula from Matthew 28:19). Nonetheless, I believe the Oneness Pentecostals are in error on a number of other important matters, and that their lack of grace and charity toward Christians who disagree with their doctrines is anything but apostolic, and is more cult-like.

God bless you, Brother.
Last edited by FAST WebCrawler [Crawler] on Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Sean

Post by _Sean » Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:23 am

Would you recommend staying away from these churches?
Reason:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. (John 13:35)

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:50 pm

If you are prepared to discuss the theological differences intelligently with them, I would not stay away from them—unless you find them unwilling to acknowledge and interact honestly with biblical points when you make them. You should give their arguments fair consideration, but don't waste your time on people who don't love the truth enough to give your position a fair hearing.

I would certainly not recommend that you consider joining their church.
Last edited by FAST WebCrawler [Crawler] on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_eppsjason

Post by _eppsjason » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:47 am

"In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost" are titles of Jesus. He has more titles, read Isaiah 9:6 "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." Also read
Matthew 1:23 "Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us." All of them are titles. If I write you a check and sign it with my title which is teacher, do you think it will be cashed. I have to sign my name to it. In the book of Acts and afterwards, you will read that anyone baptized was done so in the name of Jesus Christ. God gave Jesus to be Lord of all, read Matthew 28:18 "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth." Also read Revelations 1:18 "I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death."

May you be blessed to be a hearer and doer of The Word.
Reason:

_Benjamin Ho

Post by _Benjamin Ho » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:19 am

Dear Eppsjason,

I'm thinking that perhaps the word "name" shouldn't be taken so literally. It may mean authority rather than the actual name of Jesus. This is analogous to saying, "Stop in the name of the law."

By the way, Christ is not a personal name but a title.
Reason:
Grace and peace,
Benjamin Ho

_eppsjason

Post by _eppsjason » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:36 pm

Benjamin Ho wrote:Dear Eppsjason,

I'm thinking that perhaps the word "name" shouldn't be taken so literally. It may mean authority rather than the actual name of Jesus. This is analogous to saying, "Stop in the name of the law."

By the way, Christ is not a personal name but a title.
First, Christ is a title given to Jesus because He was not the only man with that name. But that is not the issue.

Second, did you read the book of Acts and any books afterwards. In what name were people baptized? In what name were demons cast out? Read what happens in Acts 19:13-16 when Jesus name is not used in trying to cast out a demon "Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth. And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so. And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye? And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded".

Thirdly, read what Jesus says in Mark 16:17-18 "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover." In who's name is this passage referring to? Don't just have it on your mind and think, "Well you know what I meant". Say the name. There is power in the name of Jesus Christ.

Also, I have 2 suggestions for any readers of this:

1) Don't use your own mind to try and comprehend the bible, that's why you need the Holy Ghost. Let the Spirit lead you. Read
Proverbs 3:5 "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding."

2) Always use scripture in whatever you say and remember that it is not your job to back the scripture up. The Word stands all by itself. God doesn't need our help in His Word. Read John 5:39 "Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me." Also read 2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works." God wouldn't instruct you to do anything that He hasn't made provisions for you to be able to do.

May you be a hearer and doer of The Word.
Reason:

Return to “Ethics”