Backlash over "A Vision for Children"

Right & Wrong
_jess

a slight tangent, but not really...

Post by _jess » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:41 pm

Would any of you consider trying to limit the number of children you would have if the wife/mother was too sick to care for existing children while pregnant? If the mother was too sick to carry on basic household functions for 5+ months with each pregnancy, and homeschooling would not be possible during these times, would that influence your decision? have any of you delt with a situation like this?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:17 pm

I knew a family with eight children, where the mother had a strange autoimmune condition that made her allergic to almost everything—every kind of detergent, the foam rubber in couch cushions, carpeting, wall paint—everything! Their house was a pretty stark sight. The mother had incessant migraines 24/7 and was obviously incapacitated most of the time. They kept having kids, though it obviously fell to the husband and the older kids to do much of the housework and the care of younger siblings. A lot of hardship, but I believe they considered their children to be worth the trouble. Once the difficult years of childhood are past, the mature children can be the greatest joy to their parents in later years. These people were willing to make that investment. Not everyone would make the same call.

I always felt I should leave the question of having more children to God, but if my wife's health or disposition turned against having more, then I figured a man ought to honor his wife's wishes in the matter. She is the one who carries the baby to term, goes through the labor, the nursing and the care of the young children. I would not want my wife to take on that burden unwillingly, just because I was willing to have my family larger. As it happened, my wife loved pregnancy and loved to care for babies. She would never have agreed to use birth control (and I never would have suggested it).We were hoping for twelve (in twenty years of marriage, we were only blessed with four). Again, not everyone would make the same call.

Such decisions are the private business of a couple before God.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

Return to “Ethics”