Matthew 6:19-24 and Bank Accounts

Right & Wrong
_SoaringEagle

Matthew 6:19-24 and Bank Accounts

Post by _SoaringEagle » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:50 pm

In light of the following passage:
  • Matthew 6:19-24
    19 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust consume and where thieves break in and steal, 20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. 22
How should we view saving money and getting bank accounts? Thoughts anyone? Steve?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_TK

Post by _TK » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:29 am

Hi SE:

i dont have any paper money in the bank, as far as I know.

but i know what you are getting at.

we had a similar conversation on this topic here: storing up treasures

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:34 am

As both JC and TK point out at the other thread that he has linked above, my view is that the most important and controlling phrase in Jesus' statement is "for yourselves." Nothing we own is ours, and the early Christians did not claim that anything they possessed was their own (Acts 4:32). It all belongs to God. We are stewards. We will give account for our stewardship, and there will be eternal consequences—both good and bad.

Joseph and the ant are examples of storing up for leaner future times, but they are examples of taking care of the needs of a whole community. TK (at the other thread) pointed out that he does not, so far as he knows, have someone else laying things up for him. However, Jesus said that, by giving to the poor, we are laying up treasures in heaven (Mark 10:21/Luke 12:33; 14:12-14), where God will manage our accounts. God is our provider, in fat times or in lean. He will provide what we need, so long as we are trusting Him, honoring Him in the management of the resources He has committed to us, and choosing to be content with whatever He supplies, whether little or much (Phil.4:11-13).
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_TK

Post by _TK » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:52 pm

I still, admittedly, have much growing to do in this area. I get the "theory" but i don't get how it works practically. I have learned quite a bit recently from the experiences of loved ones going through some rough times, and perhaps am a little wiser that when i started the other thread over two years ago. (gasp!) how time flies!

reading the other thread reminds me of how much fun it was to be baited by our friend Atheist.

TK
Reason:
"Were not our hearts burning within us? (Lk 24:32)

_livingink

Post by _livingink » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:31 pm

Paul also made the point in 1 Corinthians 13:3 "And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing." Simply giving money away with the idea that God will be pleased is not consistent with stewardship nor is it consistent with Jesus' instructions to the rich young man. It also would be a practice consistent with the giving of sacrifices by rote as noted in such OT scriptures as Psalms 51:16-19 and Isaiah 1:11-15. Donating money must be consistent with justice, mercy, faithfulness and righteousness. There may be times to invest your five talents and there may be times to put them in a place where they can draw interest until a satisfactory investment arises.

livingink
Reason:

Return to “Ethics”