Growing Kids God's Way (Ezzo's)

Right & Wrong
_darin-houston

Growing Kids God's Way (Ezzo's)

Post by _darin-houston » Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:55 pm

I have heard conflicting stories about GKGW and the Ezzo's. Anyone have any views on the program or the man ?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_Seth

Post by _Seth » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:26 pm

I first read "On Becoming Babywise" for the same reason I read "Harry Potter"...I was tired of Christians telling me how horrible it was. Specifically, my mother told me how bad it is.

Unfortunately, early child training is a very divided landscape. From the one perspective, you have Dr. Sears and "Attachment" parenting. Of course, he calls the "Parent-directed" method "Detachment" parenting. Nice that it's all even-handed and objective, eh?

I thought Ezzo made some good points about aiding a baby's transition to sleeping through the night (Eat-Activity-Sleep). I didn't, however, read "Growing Kids God's Way," because I'm completely turned off by the title. I've also heard some disturbing things about Ezzo's theology, but I can't recall them because I didn't look to him for theology.

I more object to his contention that all kids respond the same way to the same training.

Basically, I read Ezzo so I could get another side to the issues. Same reason I read pro-evolution authors.
Reason:

_darin-houston

Post by _darin-houston » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:45 pm

I, too, have a problem with the title -- it suggests God has a particular way that children should be raised.

I would prefer it be "Growing Kids for God's Way."

I'm less interested in the newborn feeding/sleeping stuff, but the 3-10 year plan (GKGW). I have problems with the basic approach and the way so many evangelical programs like this that co-opt scripture for their own purposes, and twist it to suggest that it supports their plan. The fact that all scripture is useful for teaching doesn't mean (to me) that it's a nose of wax to be twisted and used to teach whatever concept you're trying to teach.

But, his theology and use of scripture aside (such as using Christ's atonement to suggest a parenthood concept), I'm very interested in folks' views of hiw kid-rearing approach and not really the way he promotes or teaches the program. The controversies surrounding his "ministry" and church-meembership causes me concern, but it seems like the only thing going for an organized gathering of parents to come together and discuss situational issues and discipline techniques, spoilage avoidance, etc.
Reason:

_Rae

Post by _Rae » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:38 pm

Darin,

I'm pretty sure that "Shepherding A Child's Heart" by Ted Tripp has a study that you can go through with a group of parents (and a DVD set to watch when the group comes together). We absolutely loved that book!

If I'm going to read or listen to someone where I have to eat the meat and spit out the bones, I think I'd rather listen to/read Michael and Debi Pearl than the Ezzos. But that's just my preference.
Reason:
"How is it that Christians today will pay $20 to hear the latest Christian concert, but Jesus can't draw a crowd?"

- Jim Cymbala (Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire) on prayer meetings

Return to “Ethics”