When is sin, sin for you but not for others?

Right & Wrong
SamMcNear

Re: When is sin, sin for you but not for others?

Post by SamMcNear » Thu May 07, 2009 11:43 pm

So Paul clearly taught that some acts which are not sin for some people ARE sin for anyone who cannot act in faith when they do such things.
Let me see if I got this right God can tell someone to do something and then that person can have faith he can’t have faith unless God told him "So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. " Rom 10:17. If that person doesn't act on what God told them then that is sin?

God doesn't always tell people to do the same things so everyone doesn't have to have faith on the same things (except the essentials, Jesus is God, etc..). Now on the essentials God told everyone so everyone has to have faith in those things. So the truth is God does give words for individuals that may not apply for all mankind and it still is true because of that "I" facture mentioned earlier, true for the person who got the word but not necessarily for everyone.

Does that make sense?

Thanks
Sam

Paidion

Re: When is sin, sin for you but not for others?

Post by Paidion » Fri May 08, 2009 7:41 pm

I think it's simpler than that, Sam. For example, I sometimes drink wine. Some people think that it is just plain wrong for Christians to drink anything containing alcohol.

Now, I can drink wine in faith, giving thanks to God. But another Christian sees me drinking some wine at a wedding, and says to himself, "Paidion is a Christian, and he's drinking wine. So I guess I can drink some, too." But after having a glass, this man feels that he has done something wrong. He was unable to conscientiously and faithfully drink that glass of wine. He believes he has sinned in doing so. So in fact he has sinned in doing so.

Romans 14:14 I know and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but it is unclean for any one who thinks it unclean.
Paidion

Man judges a person by his past deeds, and administers penalties for his wrongdoing. God judges a person by his present character, and disciplines him that he may become righteous.

Avatar shows me at 75 years old. I am now 83.

Return to “Ethics”