losing your life for Christ

Right & Wrong
_Steve

Post by _Steve » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:52 am

Since I don't contribute to every one of these threads, my opinion about some of them may be in question. For the record, I do not hold to the United Pentacostal viewpoints expressed by eppsjason above or elsewhere. We allow anybody to post messages here, and I don't always have time to respond to every one, but my silence should not be construed as approval.
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_glow

Post by _glow » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:25 pm

Thank you so much for all your responses. I do value them.

I did happen to recieve the gift of tonges years ago but myself I do not belive you have to have evidenace of tonges to support being baptised in the Holy Spirit. I have met to many people in my walk who are clearly in tune with the spirit yet as far as I know they have not recieved that gift but many others.
I also see a caution when you speak of never sinning again. We strive as Christians to "not" sin but we obviously will and continue to do so no matter how hard we try ( we are still human). Otherwise why did Christ go through all he has for us?? HE takes on our sin and only HE can wash us and cleanse us of our sins. DAILY.

We cannot do this by ourselves. Yes , by our fruits we will be know and works are important. But who is the final judge here??

It is Christ!/Our father in heaven ! Not man.

I think we have to be very careful when we fall in the areas of judging sin whether our own or someone elses. My late husband taught me a very valuable lesson. He said "if you look at some ones failings and expect them to be at a certain point in there walk and they are not , you may judge them as backsliding etc. BUT what you don't know is there original starting point was/is and they may actually be way more developed in understanding there sin and over coming it than you are giving them credit for . Therefore you could be actually judging them very unfairly and YOU may be alot more behind them than you think.

I believe we all need to be very wary of judging others. and be kinder to ouselves. As you know by scripture,we set up the standard on how others judge us by how WE judge others.

Peace to you all and thankyou. Glow
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:48 pm

HOLY SPIRIT AND TONGUES:

Read John 3:8 "The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit." Notice Jesus says EVERY ONE. The scripture doesn't say that everyone continues to speak in tongues whenever they want, but it says that everyone speaks in tongues when they are BORN of the Spirit. As the wind, you don't know where the Spirit comes from and you don't know where it's going. By Jesus words, you do know that it makes a sound. What's the sound? Read below.

Read Acts 2:4 "And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance."

Read Acts 10:44-46 "While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God."

Read Acts 19:6 "And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied"

BEING HUMAN, LIVING IN THIS WORLD, & NOT SINNING ONCE SAVED:

Read 6:1-2 "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" In other words, once we turn to Jesus shall we continue to commit sin believing that if we constantly repent we will always be forgiven. Once we turn to Jesus shall we continue to commit sin believing that God's goodness will "let it slide". Once we turn to Jesus shall we continue to commit sin believing that just having faith in Jesus will make it alright. Paul says "God forbid". In other words, certainly not. Definitely not. Absolutely not.

Read Romans 6:12 "Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God." In other words, when your body is calling to commit sin, don't heed that call. Don't do it.

Read Romans 14-15 "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid." Once again, grace does not give any leverage to committing sin.

Read 1 John 3:8-9 "He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God." When it says "he cannot sin", it's not saying you've forgotten how to sin. It's saying God forbids you from sinning. If you break that forbidding, then you are not born of God but of the devil.

Read 1 John 3:6 "Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him."

Read John 17:14 "I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world." We live in this world, but Jesus says that those who follow Him are not of this world. I'm black, but I live in a white neighborhood. Does that make me white because I live in a white neighborhood?

Read Acts 2:40 "And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation." Notice the "Save yourselves" in that scripture. That doesn't mean that we can do without God, but it means that we have to make the choice of living for God or living for the devil. Read Deuteronomy 30:19 "I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live". That's the choice, the decision, that we have to make. That's what's meant by saving yourself. Make the right choice.

WHY ELSE IS SINNING ONCE YOU TURN TO GOD NOT ALRIGHT:

Read 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." In other words, you don't own yourself. Your body is not yours. It was meant to house the Holy Spirit. The price paid was the blood of Jesus. You become a slave to righteousness once you become saved.

FOR THOSE WHO LEAN TO THEIR OWN UNDERSTANDING ON THESE THREE VERSES:

1 John 1:8 "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."
1 John 1:10 "If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."
Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God"

Those are scripture. They are true. 1 John 1:8 is saying that we all have sin. That sin is in our flesh. Thus 1 Peter 2:11 "Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul". The sin in our flesh wars with us, even when we're saved. That's the sin that we all have and can't say that we don't. Therefore, not being saved all one's life then you would commit sin because of the sin in your flesh. Because you were shaped in iniquity, thus 1 John 1:10 and Romans 3:23. Because we all have sinned that's why we fell short the glory of God. But Jesus died for our sin that we may partake of that glory through obeying God not to sin and living holy.

AS FAR AS MY DENOMINATION:

Read 1 Corinthians 1:10, 12-13 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?" Different denominations means that the way the bible is being preached has changed between them. If nothing in the preaching of the bible changed, then there wouldn't be any denominations. We should be on one accord sharing the same mind that was in Jesus.

WHY SHOULD THERE NOT BE A STRUGGLE IN DOING THE THINGS STATED ABOVE:

Read Acts 1:8 "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth." Notice the "after that the Holy Ghost". You receive power to live holy and not commit sin after you are born of the Holy Spirit.

Read Romans 12:1 "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." In other words, I beg you my brothers and sisters that you sacrifice your body, mind, and soul to God and live holy for Him, thereby giving and doing whatever God has commanded. It's only right and fair. You owe it to Him. That's what Paul is saying.

May you be a hearer and doer of The Word.
Reason:

_eppsjason

Post by _eppsjason » Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:06 am

In conclusion to the above, I remember before I was saved. I've always been "God conscience", but didn't know the truth. I would sin and ask for forgiveness. Nothing special or hard about that. Kept going back to the same ruts. That's because just believing in God and asking for forgiveness isn't enough. You have to live holy (without sin) through the power of the Holy Ghost. Stephen got killed over this. No one is going to be enraged enough to kill just by being told to believe in God and ask for forgiveness. But a person will get enraged when you shine a flashlight on their evil doings and tell them to stop and when you tell them they are not right. The Word cut to their hearts. They could either accept chastening and get right. Or they could turn from the chastening and be angered because someone is showing there shame. It's the showing and chastening of the shame that led to Stephen's death. Not just simply telling them to ask for forgiveness and believe in God's grace and goodness. Read Acts 7:1-60.
Reason:

_Anonymous

Losing your life for CHRIST

Post by _Anonymous » Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:25 am

So you have arrived and now live without sin in thought, word or deed?

WOW
Reason:

Return to “Ethics”