Unconditional love.

Right & Wrong
_Anonymous

Unconditional love.

Post by _Anonymous » Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:49 pm

I no longer believe humans are capable of unconditional love. I think its romantic that we believe it is something we are able to give.

But I figued out that there is always a condition to the most "unconditional" of loves. Which is why I have been recently sad, and eager for the return of Christ, whom I believe is the only one capable of this love. I miss what I imagined I once had. To be more specific would be unfair to those involved...

Do you agree to some extent? Was I unrealistic to ever think this was possible?
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:

_love the logos

Post by _love the logos » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:49 pm

it was not the abandoment of love but the realization of what true love is. You are correct in saying man will never have/understand/ do by his own will unconditional love. Parents emulate the best they can and family also trys hard aswell but you are not naive to think unconditional love does not exist among men.

Do not worry though God already knew this and set aside things according to his grace. Its fine if you don't trust men, but you still most love men and ultimately be vulnerable enough to other men so that you may reach them [which you might have to trust them]. Secondly you are also a man, so who are you to be so ultra-skeptical of everyone else? You never had the potential you expected others to exhibit either. As We comfort eachother because God comforts us we two can trust eachother [even though we do not deserve eachothers trust] we can understand eachother because we are all on the same boat.

Marriage is not based on unconditional love but on the covenant and commitment of one another. it is the commitment to say that you will continue to remain united in spirit despite your opposing and current emotional status.

I hope this helped

In Christ,
steven.
Reason:
2 john 1:12

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:32 pm

Marisol ~ I think it is possible for people to love others unconditionally, but the more I expect people to behave in a Christ-like manner, the more I'm disappointed.

I'm sorry that your disappointment has made you so sad; I've been praying that some joy will return to your life. I'm eager for Christ to return, too, but not because I'm sad.

Michelle
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:08 am

I agree with Michelle that unconditional love is possible, through Christ. I used to think it was very common among Christians, but I have had to awaken to the fact that there are not as many real Christians out there as I once believed, and those who are not genuinely regenerated seem not only unable to love others unconditionally, but unable even to want to do so.

I have enjoyed the phenomenon of unconditional love ever since I was filled with the Spirit in 1970. Through the Spirit of Christ, I have known the joy of loving my enemies as well as my friends, children and spouses when they disappoint me. Those whose "Christianity" lacks a full surrender to Christ and a death to self can not possibly relate to this reality of unconditional love, and are prone to be cynical about the concept. This seems unspeakably tragic to me. They are missing out on the sublimest of the delights for which God made us in His image...to have the love of God shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Spirit.

I, too, have had occasion to be sad and disillusioned with others. My love for others has often not been reciprocated, and has been outright betrayed not a few times. However, loving those who disillusion us is in the definition of our loving unconditionally. We must not be concerned that others love us unconditionally. I have known relatively few who will love me or others this way. However, as it is more blessed to give than to receive, it is more satisfying to love others unconditionally than to be loved by them. This is my testimony, and I wish everyone could know what I know of this reality.
Last edited by FAST WebCrawler [Crawler] on Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Anonymous

unconditional love

Post by _Anonymous » Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:09 am

thank you for your posts on this subject.

Question:

I see several conditions from JESUS to us such as,

You draw nigh to me and I will draw nigh to you
If you dont forgive men trespasses neither will I forgive U
Seems I am in pursuit of the LORD continually.
YES, I know of HIS love..........
Now if we backslide and fall away does GOD still have unconditional love for us
even if we lose our salvation? (I am not a calvinist) Does HE still love us tho' we go to hell?

thank you
Reason:

_Steve

Post by _Steve » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:48 am

These are good questions, and I don't know if I can adequately answer them on God's behalf. I think God loves everyone, including those whom He must consign to destruction. This is suggested in His statements that He has no pleasure in the death of the wicked (Ezek.33:11) and that He "is not willing that any should perish" (2 Pet.3:9). God does also have wrath toward those who suppress the truth (Rom.1:18), and the ultimate benefits of His love for us can only be experienced by those who believe and love Him.

Thus some aspects of God's love appear to be unconditional, and some aspects conditional. I don't find this to be very different from parental love in general.

It is because of the unconditional aspects of God's love for the lost that we are commanded to love our enemies, those who hate and curse us, persecute and spitefully use us. This loving of our enemies takes the form of our blessing them, praying for them, and doing good to them (Matt.5:44-45/Luke 6:27-28).

Even if God did not love all people unconditionally, we are nonetheless commanded to do so. However, the reason we are commanded to do so is because He does, and "so that you may be sons of your Father which is in heaven" (Matt.5:45).
Last edited by FAST WebCrawler [Crawler] on Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:
In Jesus,
Steve

_Anonymous

unconditional love

Post by _Anonymous » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:53 pm

thank you Steve for your answer....
I am so thankful that GOD has these conditions on us
otherwise we would hate, be unforgiving and all lusts of flesh...Its his deep love for us that commands us to repent and walk according to 1
Coth 13......Stress, hate and those works of flesh would ultimately cause our death maybe to cancer or some other sickness............
We love HIM because HE first loved us.

thank you
Reason:

_Paidion

Post by _Paidion » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:05 pm

Thus some aspects of God's love appear to be unconditional, and some aspects conditional. I don't find this to be very different from parental love in general.
Good insight, Steve. I think these statements sum of the truth of the matter very well.

I think God has unconditional "agape" (love) for all, in the sense that He wants the very best for each person, and that is the way we, too, are to love everyone, including our enemies.

But clearly God does not have "approving love" for everyone. Is this not the sense in which God "hates all who do iniquity", as David recognized in Psalm 5:5.

We, too, must "hate" our children in the disapproving sense, when they do wrong. To not show disapproval is to encourage them in their wrongdoing.
Reason:
Paidion
"Not one soul will ever be redeemed from hell but by being saved from his sins, from the evil in him." --- George MacDonald

_IlovetheLord

Post by _IlovetheLord » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:54 am

Hey Steve,

This is Richad (sounds like Rashad) that calls you from Elmont, NY.

Anyway I agree with you and Michelle. We are only able to unconditionally love someone thru Christ. I have a friend who is revenge minded and that if someone hurts him that is it.

If we based loving people on how they behave we would hate everyone. People always disappoint. I have one friend who is always late (really like 90-95% of the time). He makes other people late. It annoys be to no end and makes me bad when he makes be late because it reflects badly on me. Is that selfish? I don't know.
Reason:

_Anonymous

Post by _Anonymous » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:22 pm

YES< thats rude I have a spouse that is generally late and it aggravates me.... I sometimes leave as we set boundaries in hopes the other person will learn not to be selfish... Of course an emergency is different.
Reason:

Return to “Ethics”