politics

Right & Wrong
alastairblake

politics

Post by alastairblake » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:37 pm

is it appropriate to bring up 2012 presidential election?

steve

Re: politics

Post by steve » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:11 pm

It is a legitimate Christian concern. Feel free to present your thoughts. I'm sure others will do so as well.

mattrose

Post by mattrose » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:24 pm

I'm currently reading Greg Boyd's "Myth of a Christian Nation"

Though I try to read a lot of books that I think I'll disagree with, I suspected that I'd be in harmony with Boyd on this topic and I was right.

So, to me, the question of the presidential election becomes... which candidate best understands the wickedness and corruption of the kingdoms of this world? which candidate is most emphatic that the powers of government need to be checked. which candidate refuses to blend the cross (loving sacrifice) with the sword (world domination)? Which candidate can see the difference b/w the kingdom of God and his own political party?

Just my opinion, but I think the answer to all of these questions is Ron Paul

alastairblake

Post by alastairblake » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:28 pm

Matt, Ron Paul is actually who i have been wondering about. I dont know too much about him. it seems that he has a consistent record throughout his political history. (I actually have that book by Boyd... maybe I will give it a read.

steve7150

Post by steve7150 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:01 pm

I don't think politics (state) and faith mix well , nor do i think the state can grow the kingdom of God but more likely corrupt it as history painfully demonstrates. Therefore i'm most likely voting for the most competent person who will support free enterprise and freedom of religion, Mitt Romney.

Singalphile

Post by Singalphile » Sat May 19, 2012 10:44 am

steve7150 wrote: I don't think politics (state) and faith mix well , nor do i think the state can grow the kingdom of God but more likely corrupt it as history painfully demonstrates. Therefore i'm most likely voting for the most competent person who will support free enterprise and freedom of religion, Mitt Romney.
I agree with all of that. I would add "and who stands a chance of winning" into that second sentence.

I enjoy political discussion and news.

In general though, I think that it's almost always unfruitful and a waste of time to try to debate politics with friends or coworkers in my normal circle of life, especially non-Christians.

A non-politically oriented business that put up a lot of partisan political signs and slogans would drive many people away and would hurt its business and dilute its purpose. In the same way, I don't think it's good for our purposes or our master/"employer" to be tainted by association with any political party or personality.

There are few self-described liberals in my area. I know of only one at my workplace and he is a friend (and also a brand new U.S. citizen orig. from Sri Lanka). My aim is to be a loving friend and help him believe in Jesus, not to convince him to vote for x. So I try to be a good representative of Christ, and I let slide the snide or insulting (and in his case, uninformed) comments about conservatives, Romney, Bush, Palin, etc. Christian first. Political activist a very distant trailer.

I think Christians can and probably should vote and work in government, though.
... that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. John 5:23

Return to “Ethics”