Ted Haggard's thoughts on suicide, leadership ect.

Right & Wrong
21centpilgrim

Ted Haggard's thoughts on suicide, leadership ect.

Post by 21centpilgrim » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 pm

http://tedhaggardblog.com/2013/12/12/su ... nd-sorrow/

I read this and had some very mixed feelings and thoughts. I really appreciate his honesty and sharing about his healing and pain, but there were things that just didn't fit, like this--

"Do we actually believe that the many pastors who have been characterized as fallen decided to be hateful, immoral, greedy, or deceitful? I think not."

Huh? Men decide to sin and although we all have been sinned against we are more than just victims.

The growth of the Christian psychology counseling movement has a great need for discernment. While I do believe that some believers wrongly conclude that every problem comes from spiritual warfare, the devil would love it for his work to be dismissed.
And Ted's revealing of EMDR treatment, while it 'worked' for him does not dismiss the reality of what the treatment actually is- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing, the last R was initially for Reprogramming but reprocessing sounds better. This treatment often involves having electrical impulses mildly charges through both sides of your body and you visualize past trauma and reinvent a better scenario in ones mind.

Anyways, I will let you all chime in as you wish.
Then those who feared the LORD spoke with each other, and the LORD listened to what they said. In his presence, a scroll of remembrance was written to record the names of those who feared him and loved to think about him.

steve7150

Re: Ted Haggard's thoughts on suicide, leadership ect.

Post by steve7150 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:39 am

Do we actually believe that the many pastors who have been characterized as fallen decided to be hateful, immoral, greedy, or deceitful? I think not."

Huh? Men decide to sin and although we all have been sinned against we are more than just victims.

Yes certainly men decided to sin but if you take Rom 7 as Paul speaking as a believer in the present tense (as i do) then he says that he does things that he does not want to do. So it's a continuing battle and we have to be thoughtful before casting the first stone.

I think this article is well worth reading and thinking about. It is from one man's perspective, but he has been through a great deal and his experiences are real life
and it's interesting to hear it from a Pastor's insight. Certainly in the Evangelical community some sins are considered weightier then others possibly for self serving reasons. Also what Haggard says about overly judgmental congregants, healing in the scriptures whether mental or physical, suicide, lack of compassion and other issues really need to be mulled over and thought about.

Return to “Ethics”